<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
hydro steering, coolers, filters, reservoir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:58 pm 

so i have been reading on hydro steering, it seems like a lot of failers are from metal shavings, and over heating the pumps. Would you guys run a cooler or run a cooler with a fan on it like a mini rad fan iv seen at summit for a cooler with fan under $170. Also is there a place i can get a filte/reservoir combo? or do you know were i can get a hydro oil filter? iv been looking but cant find the cool ones with the spin on filters iv seen around

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:17 am 

Search pirate for the filter/res combo. I know what your talking about because I've seen the one you mean, it's sweet. I run a cooler thats about 4x10 that I threw in there for now but was thinking I may go bigger if need be. After wheeling at the dunes and up to canada for a week my cooler and the lines going into it never got hot. Actually they were barely warm to the touch. Dont know why but mine is working well. I would like to put in a filter though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:46 am 

iv looked on priates also, i keep coming up empty just seeing if someone knows where they got there filter at

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:16 pm 

prostock3 wrote:
iv looked on priates also, i keep coming up empty just seeing if someone knows where they got there filter at

are you being serious? you dont know where to get a reservoir with a filter on it?

http://www.howeperformance.com/rockcrawling.html there is the howe one... call them up and order it.

www.speedwaymotors.com has one but johnnyj said the reservoir is too small for his setup.

and if you check the pirate tech section aout hydro steering you will find the same reervoir johnnyj has.

and just so you know; metal shavings do not cause failures... they are a byproduct after the failure has already occurred. when something goes out on the system it is 90% of the time the pump. make sure you have a big cooler and a big reservoir and a short large diameter feed line for the pump and it will be fine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:12 pm 

you're going to shoot your eye out

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:33 pm 

thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:40 am 

I dunno if speedway sells the filter, cooler, reservoir combo like the one I have. Mine is a appleton or something, it's like the one billavista has in one of his articles.

Now that I have one, the all in one reservoir that I have is like a futon. It does three things, but none of them as good as individual pieces.

Speedway does sell some cheap reservoirs though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:11 pm 

Were can I pick up a good cooler?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:28 pm 

Better question, Do I need one with screw on fittings or can I use the press on fitting with clamps?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:33 pm 

Any fluid cooler will work and it doesn't matter what fittings are on it. You can go all out and get one with a fan or get an el-cheapo from Autozone.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:55 am 

gudklnfun wrote:
Better question, Do I need one with screw on fittings or can I use the press on fitting with clamps?

put the cooler on the return line out of the orbital valve between the orbital and resivoir and you can just use a simple oil coller with hose clamps. There isn't enough pressure there to worry.

I have a small 4x10 cooler on the back side of my intercooler (which has an Efan on the front of it) and it stays pretty cool. I also have a fairly large resivoir that I made, 3.5" exhaust tube about 17" long.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:04 am 

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:48 pm 

I've been looking for the paperwork for my PSC hydro steering and I can't find were the wife put it, any idea which hose is the return line that I want to use?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:48 pm 

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but all the lines are 3/8 right?
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/tech/inst ... _front.pdf
Should I be able to follow this diagram?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:35 pm 

3/8 (AN-6) for all but the line between the reservoir and pump, which I used 5/8 (AN-10) for, like they showed in the diagram.

Diagram looks good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:53 pm 

Thanks. I bought fittings from Tractor Supply. Now all I need to do is place everything and then measure for lines then by them.

[ 16 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic