<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
My new crazy fucking project... Turning a D50 TTB into a D60

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:02 pm 

Well, here we go... I started the other day. I have the D50 TTB apart and verified that the D60 shafts do indeed fit inside...

It is pretty close to the inner knuckle, but I have about .25".

clearance between the lower BJ and the yoke, about .25"

Clearance between the upper BJ and yoke, about .75"

Dana 50 shaft top, D60 shaft bottom. It is hard to tell in the picture, but the D60 stub is about 3/8" longer as I suspected, this is due to the D50 haveing cast caliper mounts, and the D60 has a removeable plate caliper mount. I will probably just cut them down as the splin length is the same. If I end up taking the snap ring grove, I will have it remachined into the shaft...

I didn't take a picture, but the ID of the TTB tube, measured with calipers is 3.6x 3.5. This is almost going to be a perfect fit to sleeve the D61 rear tube I am useing for a donor pig.

More pics later as I progress.

Later,
Jason

"Vehicles illegally parked here will be cheerfully disassembled and used for parts"

1985 CJ-7, 460,C6,BW1356,NP205, R/C Front D60, Standard Rear, 37" Irocks, 4 link front and rear, locked front and rear.

Last edited by camaro13z28 on Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:03 pm 

Made a little more progress today, there have been a few snags, but this is going to work. Here are some more pictures...

I had to cut the knuckle for a little bit more joint clearance, once I had the knuckle on the tube, and the d60 shaft in it, it bound on the inner knuckle, and was going to be bad when turning...

So I cut it for clearance, and then plated it with 3/8th inch steel to get the strength I lost back.

New modified plated knuckle on the diff and axle shaft in place...

Front close up view, I put the rolled edge back on the inner knuckle, again for strength. Had to grind the 3/8ths a bit on the bottom because of contact w/ the outer knuckle. I should not have plated it so far forward...

Back close up view, I have to take it apart again and grind a little bit of the inner knucles lower half of the opening. The factory roled edge was at an angle, and my replacement piece was not. The reason it was at an angle... The shaft yoke binds when turned all of the way right.

All in all it has not been a bad project so far. I have had the damn knuckle on and off about 50 times, I am getting tired of swinging the sledge hammer :D

Later,
Jason

"Vehicles illegally parked here will be cheerfully disassembled and used for parts"

1985 CJ-7, 460,C6,BW1356,NP205, R/C Front D60, Standard Rear, 37" Irocks, 4 link front and rear, locked front and rear.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:07 pm 

Definitely interesting. When I first started reading I was picturing what I had seen before, a solid TTB axle. Nice job though. It doesn't even look bad.

We-Rock/XRRA #199

Badlands Offroad, Maxxis, Superior Axle, Solid Axle Ind, Spidertrax, PSC, Branik Machine, QA1, High Angle Driveline, Warn, Sway-a-way, Cottman Transmission, PRP Seats, Summit Racing, CTM Racing, Allied Wheel, and McKinney corp.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:24 pm 

We will see how it ends up, I think it will be plenty stong for the front of my new bronco. I got the brain storm to try this when I found out that the TTB 50 uses 1350 joints, which are about the same body size as the D60 1480, the difference is in the journals and caps. After researching the piss out of that, I decided to take the d50 I had apart and see if the joints cleared in the knuckles. The only problem was inner knuckle clearance, and I think it will be fine w/ my new remade inners. After I started on this deal, I saw the guy on pirate that built a D80 w/ rockwell outers, pretty much the same idea, just smaller shiiiit. I will keep you all posted as it goes along. :)

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:43 pm 
R.I.P. Karl

way to look outside the box :thumb:

do the oil seals go on the pig end of the shafts? or outboard?

Waiting is the hardest part :flipoff:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:11 pm 

Oil seals will be in by the pig, in the factory location. I have that little problem solved already too, the D61 tube is much larger than a D60 tube and 3/8" wall. I am useing a piece of drive shaft tubing I had around, 2.75" OD x .120 wall. I took a cylinder hone to it until the seal pressed in very tightly. The OD is about .060 undersized for the ID of the diff tube, I am going to shim it with 4 .030 shims (piece of sheet metal I had around, believe it is 18 gauge) at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions to center it. Right now I am leaning toward epoxying the slug for the seals in the tube, but I am also considering plug welding it in place. Epoxy would provide the better seal though...

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:48 pm 

whats the advantage to going this way or are you just tinkering :popcorn:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:39 am 

Mostly just screwing around, a few people told me it couldn't be done, so I am doing it :) I also wanted a solid axle for my bronco, and I didn't want to have to buy a d60, so I figured I would try building one, be much cheaper than laying out $1000+ for a junkyard d60, plus it is fun :D

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:35 pm 

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:55 pm 
Webwheelerousmaximus

so is it still gonna be IFS? Im not sure I completely understand this. Are you just putting d60 shafts into a TTB d50 housing?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:56 pm 

I am putting D60 shafts in a rear houseing useing the TTB D50 inner and outer knuckles. It will be a solid axle when it is done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:18 pm 

Motorcitydak wrote:
so is it still gonna be IFS?

Did you look at any of the pictures????????

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:54 pm 

c'mon. that was a typical dak response. if you call him out every time he drops one of those, you'll have more posts than strangler.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:04 pm 
strangler is hoser's shrink

Not sure how to take that......

stranglers posts +1 :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:02 pm 

Made a little more progress today. Got the drivers knuckle properly clearanced, and is now welded on. I may have to take it apart and grind down the lower ball joint stud just a little. It clears the yokes on the shafts, but it is so close, I am not sure I am real comfortable with it. Anyhow, here are the pics.

I made a collar for the tube to give me a better and more uniform weld area...

It is also plug welded on all 4 sides...

And the clearance between the joint and knuckle now after grinding some more, and some more again, and oh, it finally clears!

Now I just have to take what I learned on this side, and do the same on the other, any luck and I will be done in a week or two.

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:47 pm 

The colar you made to fit between the square and the round tube i assume slides in quite aways ? I have doubts of that connection having good strenght . It the collar fit the tube well and OD on the square tubing i suppose its ok .

I have an 86 setting here with that 50 in the front and a 60 in the rear . Some where i had read the 50 was the same center section as a 44 . Apparently not

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:32 pm 

Well, it is done. The project went pretty quick. I am going to truss it and tie both knucks together. I got the passanger side castor about 1* off, I am going to have to correct it with an eccentric cam, I checked about a dozen times too, must have moved while I was welding it. Next off is setting up gears and building a truss. We will see how it holds up :D

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:27 pm 

...And the inner axle seals are in today. I JB welded the sleeve for them in the tube. The tube used for the seal was 2.75"x.120 wall HREW. I cut it from an old drive shaft I have laying in my pile. I had to hone out the inside w/ a cylinder hone, and it was about .060 undersize for the D61 tube ID, but I shimed it w/ 4 pieces of .030 aluminum I had around. You can still see some of the shims in the pictures, I will cut them off once the JB weld sets.

Here is the slug w/ the seal installed

Drivers side seal in the axle tube

Passanger side seal in the tube

I am probably going to hold off on trussing the axle until I have a good plan in place for what I want to do, and when I know where my coil spring mounts will be.

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:49 pm 
R.I.P. Karl

What ever ended up with this experiment?

Waiting is the hardest part :flipoff:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:21 pm 

It is still sitting in the corner of my shop, waiting for me to quit fucking around w/ snowblowers and shit and get motivated to start on my bronco. My new ADD medicine the doctor proscribed is not working.

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:12 am 

updates?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 pm 

my guess is that it was turned into into a pinewood derby car

HOGGIN AND BOGGIN

[ 22 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic