<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
Hydro steering, screaming at me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:39 pm 
Fresh out of the Clam

So this weekend I was out wheeling and my hydro pump was screaming at me, making a high pitched whining noise. The only was to make it stop was to unscrew the reservoir a bit to relieve some pressure, and it would stop immediately.

I guess the questions is what would start causing this, leak, pump going bad, line block?

Any clues, i cant seam to find anything yet, or i could just keep with the current remedy and keep the reservoir slightly unscrewed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:43 pm 

Sounds like the vented cap for your pump is plugged. Clean it real good with some brake parts cleaner, and make sure the rubber flappy part moves up and down freely. If the system is completely plugged, the pressure will build up as the fluid heats up, causing squealing, and then pressure leaks. Vent it rite.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:30 am 
Aiden's Bitch

to small of a line going from your reservoir to your pump, or not a big enough vent on your reservoir if its part of the pump

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:42 pm 

Vent? What is that? I built my own reservoir and cut the top out of an existing canned ham to weld in, that way I can use a stock GM Cap. Whenever I pull the cap, I get a psssh of air, even days or weeks later. I assumed they run ventless, maybe they did that in the newer trucks for fugitive emissions? The donor pump was on my 01 5.3. I have had intermittent screaming from the pump, followed by extremely hard steering, turned out to be side clearances in the pump that you could stick a dead cat in. Core return to Autozone it is.

Are you running remote reservoir? I went up to a 3/4" line to drop down to the pump to make sure it is happy, where do you run the return line from the orbital? I plugged the hole on the back of the pump and put it through a cooler then into the remote reservoir.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:34 pm 

The cap IS vented, all hydraulics will expand when heated, and it needs somewhere to bleed off the excess pressure, and let air back in when cool. If you get a woosh of air when you pull the cap, your vent is plugged.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:54 am 
Fresh out of the Clam

I will have to try putting some kind of a vent on it, right now i just have the cap cracked open just a bit.

Thanks all.

[ 6 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic