<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
40" tire recommendations for mixed driving?

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 4:10 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

So, a plan has been hatched to fix up the blue Suburban enough in order to sell it to buy wheels and tires for the Ram, which has been on jackstands and/or rollers for some time now. The intent is to start using the Ram as the daily driver again now that I live only one mile from the office and *most* of the moving of crap between all the houses has been completed.

The question:

What tire can I get away with that won't burn off all that fast on the street?

The 40x13.5r17 M/TRs that were on it previously seemed like a decent balance that didn't wear down very quickly, so they are a candidate. However, with the wheels I was using (even with the steel spacers) they were flush with the bodyside. There is definitely room for some more width and a 14.5" or even a 16" wide tire can be considered. I'm also open to 20" diameter stock.

First other tire that came to mind was the Pitbull Growler, but they jump from 35's right to 47's. :tdown:

Both the Maddog and Rocker are available in 39.5" heights and 17" or 20" diameter with the Maddog running smaller widths. I see that the Rocker is supposed to be available in a 41.5" height at 13.5" wide in both diameters this Summer, which seems interesting. How soft are these tires?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:39 am 

Pretty sure they make the KM2 in a 40".

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:20 pm 

I have MT/R Ks (35s) on my JK and love them. They are quiet, smooth, and grip real well. I've spoke to guys running 40s and they say the same things. I know of one guy who has a set of 40s on his 4dr JK with over 30k on them and they still have lots of tread.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:57 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

The lug spacing opens up a lot on the 37"+ MT/Rs also, which is why i liked them last time and am another reason why I am leaning towards them again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:20 am 

PavementPounder wrote:
The lug spacing opens up a lot on the 37"+ MT/Rs also, which is why i liked them last time and am another reason why I am leaning towards them again.

Is that still the case on the lug spacing with the new MT/R? I can honestly say that I did not notice the lug spacing being anything remarkable when Adam had the 37's on his LJ. FWIW, I believe that the Goodyears balance out better than the KM2, but Joe Ramm could attest to that better than me, and I may have that backwards.

Also, on the Pitbulls, some of those sizes, the radials especially, are MIA with the Denman bankruptcy, as they were made in the same plant. Ditto some of the cooler Swampers. I have a list, but it's way too long to post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:28 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Magic Man wrote:
Is that still the case on the lug spacing with the new MT/R?

Oh, good point. I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:28 pm 
It Looks Russian

boggers. yup, BDMT's need boggers :thumb:

[ 7 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic