<- Home Page *Search  

1, 2 Reply to topic Post new topic
Swap: TBI 454 in place of TBI 350, same model/year rigs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:29 pm 

halfgassed wrote:
be careful with headers. WHen I swapped out my tbi 350 for a 454 and bought headers......they claimed they fit 4wd bb trucks....all the way to 87.....turned out that they didnt clear a piece of the casting on the 700r4. I ended up with a set of hedmans that fit fine but it took a 1 set of returns and overnight shipping to get it right. IIRC the ones that didnt fit were the flowtechs.

Im not 100% positive but I don't think anything came with a BB and 700 from the factory. My guess being that it MIGHT not have been a factory application and thats why they didt fit. DIdnt most have the th400?

You are correct, no trucks left with a 700r4 and a BB, but a TH400 is much wider in the pan and they are identical in the bell housing area, so I don't see why they wouldn't fit. The only problems that may be had is if the headers drop down into the way of the front driveshaft, depending on what transfer case, and how its clocked. I believe the headers I have here are Hookers. They have a little oval medallion welded to the first primary pipes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:20 pm 

700/208 is what was in my truck, and yeah the front d-shaft woulda been a problem.

Now that I think of it I have the hooker headers also (the oval medallion gave it away)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:32 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

This thing has thick Champion plug wires on it that I have never seen or heard of before. The wire seperators screw together. You can see them in one of thepics I posted earlier that shows the header.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:54 pm 

Those are cheapie hi-po champion wires, they are made for use with headers, with extra long heat proof boots, so the wires don't melt, and the screw clamps are made by mr. gasket, again, cheapie hi-po parts, the thought process is that the "dimple" that the standard clip on wire clamps change the impedance of the spark plug wire where they get clipped, and the screw clamps hold the wires with no damage. Cool old shit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:24 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Zook94 wrote:
Then you are going to need a chip for your EEPROM that has the 454 mapping and the 700r4 lockup controls.

Zook94 wrote:
You are correct, no trucks left with a 700r4 and a BB.

Sooooo, I'm going to have to have a chip made? What about those 454 SS pickups they made for a while in the 90's?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:58 pm 

454SS pickups came with TH400's until the 4l80e came out, outta luck there.

1, 2
[ 31 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic