<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
dumb drum brake question

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:36 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

I ordered a bunch of stuff for my Jeep, new tranny, transfer case rebuild kit, headers, mufflers, all new brake stuff, power steering....tie rods and ends...

I am attempting to put the front wheel cylinders on (yes front drums) and if i mount the cylinders on the damn thing "the right way" there isnt enough room for the hose due to the shape and makeup of the knuckles.

option 1:
i have figured i can rotate the cylinders 180 degrees so the bleeder is on the bottom, the hose clease and it looks like it will work but it makes the bleeders damn near impossible to fuck with.

Option2: grind away at the knuckles till it fits the right way

Option 3: clock the backing plate 60 degrees back on the axle (one set of holes) near as I can tell at full turn it wont hit or kink anything

I think option three sounds about the best, but I wanted to see what you guys thought about these three options. I figure there might be some magical physics reason they have done it the way they have for decades. Honestly though I cant see how the drums and wheels would know

I've oficially broke my budget so i can afford to round up stuff for the disc swap, but that is on the list for next summer. maybe sooner if someone wants to donate a later model dana 30 with discs and the 6 bolt lockouts...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:53 pm 

The wheel cylinder has to be on top for it to bleed properly. If you clock the backing plates, you will trap air, and the brakes won't work for shit. It sounds like they sent you a set of rear cylinders for the front, you should call your supplier and check part numbers. The only other solution would to be to obtain some 45 degree brass fittings that would screw into your bleeders, and turn the lines away from the knuckles.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:06 am 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Zook94 wrote:
The wheel cylinder has to be on top for it to bleed properly. If you clock the backing plates, you will trap air, and the brakes won't work for shit. It sounds like they sent you a set of rear cylinders for the front, you should call your supplier and check part numbers. The only other solution would to be to obtain some 45 degree brass fittings that would screw into your bleeders, and turn the lines away from the knuckles.

the cylinders came from napa, after i noticed something was not right i went there and we spent a bit of time pulling stuff and looking and double checking. i can feel fairly safe in saying that what i got was what the books say is the right part. I also went to an autozone and had them pull a front cyliner and it was the same.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:12 am 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

do they make a banjo bolt that would thread into a wheel cylinder? then I'd just need a disc brake hose. It's the same threads as a 3/16 brake line.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:39 am 

cjjunkie wrote:
do they make a banjo bolt that would thread into a wheel cylinder? then I'd just need a disc brake hose. It's the same threads as a 3/16 brake line.

They do make banjo bolts, but you will run into problems with the flare style fitting on the wheel cylinder, because the banjo bolt is reliant upon the threads not bottoming out.

Just because Napa and AZ say its the right part, doesn't mean its correct. Is it possible you have the backing plates on the wrong sides? maybe that will give you enough clearance to mount the angled line fittings in correctly. Your other option is to use a short section of steel line, to a bracket mounted on the backing plate, like Toyota uses. I'll see if I can find an example picture.

You can see the hard line bracket sticking up in this photo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:50 am 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

i used to have an fj55 and I seem to remember the brakeline setup. i was contemplating that but it just semed kinda redneck to me. I called the store manager up and he's going to let me browse through the back and see if i can find something that would work. I have been checking parts stores websites with better pictures and I have found a few where the angle the hose exits at a little better for what i have. i got the whole thing complete, and it is a jeep axle. I contemplated swapping the backing plates but while i was thinking i fitted in the opposite side wheel cylinder and it was no help.

dana 30, 6 bolt lockouts. the only thing out of the ordinary till this was that it had selectro hubs like what my pal has on his stock 66 bronco.

i suppose its the curse of junkyard parts

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:09 am 

Just fitting the opposite side cylinder won't tell you if the backing plate is on the wrong side. The thing to do is to check the relationship between the wheel cylinder hole, and the centering of the 6 holes that hold the plate to the knuckle. If its centered, you're fucked. If it is to one side or the other of center, some backyard mechanic may have put them on the wrong sides. You can tell if its wrong just by looking, without having to take the hubs off.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:05 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Zook94 wrote:
Just fitting the opposite side cylinder won't tell you if the backing plate is on the wrong side. The thing to do is to check the relationship between the wheel cylinder hole, and the centering of the 6 holes that hold the plate to the knuckle. If its centered, you're fucked. If it is to one side or the other of center, some backyard mechanic may have put them on the wrong sides. You can tell if its wrong just by looking, without having to take the hubs off.

putting it that way I am fucked
and Napa was a bust, as well as car quest. the autozone guy couldnt get past the fact that i had a jeep with a buick v6 motor (from th factory) and a swapped in front axle. if it isnt listed in his computer it must not be possible. after they fire his stupid ass he'll be at Burger king and I wont be able to get a whopper without pickles.

fortunatley Advance Auto parts people were a little easier to deal with. I managed to find something that looks like it will work well. bolts in and lines up fine and they were only $14 each

thanks for the guideance zook

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:45 pm 

enough helpfulness, back to asshole mode.

Fuck that jeep shit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:07 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Zook94 wrote:
enough helpfulness, back to asshole mode.

Fuck that pavement JEEP shit.

who's the twatwaffle that hooked that shit up. my rig is beat but hasn't hardly seen pavement in 5 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:36 pm 

That would be hosewaffle. His Ranger is the shit now.

[ 11 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic