<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
Got a new ride 16 days ago and put 5700 miles on it already

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:43 pm 

Bought a new KTM Adventure 990 and then drove out to St. Johns Newfoundland and back :eek: Went across the trans canada on the way there and cut back through the states on the way back. So its already been to 6 provinces and 6 states.

The ferry to Newfoundland

Entrance to the harbor of St. Johns
St. Johns
WWII bunker. The Ferry I rode on was the second one named Caribou. The origianal Caribou ferry was sunk by a U boat during WWII.

some logging road I went a little ways down to test out the dirt ability of the new bike
there is a reason for all the moose signs. For days beforehand anyone who found out I was going to newfoundland around the eastern canada area just warned me of moose over an over. All the semis in Newfoundland have the huge bumper/brush guards because of them. Everyone told me not to drive at night at all and that I probably would see ten of them at least. Only saw one moose though. This picture was down a road called the Caribou trail because they are real common in that area too.

The last four are the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
nice twisty road all off in the distance.

Last edited by DetR6oit on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:53 pm 

simply amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:36 pm 

very nice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:38 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

damn thats beautiful! Why did you decide on the KTM and how do you like it so far? Is this your first Dualsport? Once i get some money saved up i wanna buy a V-strom.

A buddy of mine bought a triumph street triple in febuary and already has 9200 miles on it from adventure riding, and i thought he was insane. You sir take the cake.

Last edited by BBQjeeper on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:54 pm 
Super Picky, Never Sticky

Awesome :bow: :bow: :bow:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:22 pm 

BBQjeeper wrote:
damn thats beautiful! Why did you decide on the KTM and how do you like it so far? Is this your first Dualsport? Once i get some money saved up i wanna buy a V-strom.

A buddy of mine bought a triumph street triple in febuary and already has 8400 miles on it from adventure riding, and i thought he was insane. You sir take the cake.

Mostly was deciding between the KTM and BMW 1200GS adventure, and the choice was made pretty simple for me in that I flat out wasn't going to spend $19,000 on a motorcycle despite how much I liked the BMW. Plus the KTM is almost 100lbs lighter, has about the same power, is better offroad, way cheaper, and even has ABS like the BMW. Plus a lot of it was on word of mouth on just how much fun they were from guys on the advrider.com message board, and they were right. Its a blast to ride even just on the street. You don't see pics posted like this of any of the other dual sports
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost ... count=4851

that whole picture thread has tons of amazing pics of this bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62878

I test rode a Speed triple. I was thinking I might want to stay closer to a sportbike but wasn't that impressed with it, though I did like it. The better dirt performance was tempting because I want to do some real back road trips. Like one I really wanted to do on the way back from this trip is the trans labrador highway. Just didn't have enough time. The better luggage system of the adventure was nice too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:02 pm 

NICE!!! thats my next bike when i get tired of my klr650. Next time you go on a ride like that let me know. ive been wanting to go to alaska. did you go on your own or did you go with a group?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:29 pm 

BIGBADJMY wrote:
NICE!!! thats my next bike when i get tired of my klr650. Next time you go on a ride like that let me know. ive been wanting to go to alaska. did you go on your own or did you go with a group?

Basically I bought this bike to eventually do an alaska trip.

I went on my own. I planed out trailrides with groups in New brunswick, Nova scotia and newfundland to go wheeling with to do magazine articles on and tried to sight see as much as I could along the way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:41 am 
strangler is hoser's shrink

Very, very cool Matt. Since your on ADV, check into the regional form fopr our area, and search for the "Greetings Detroit" thread.... there are a bunch of great guys in the area that get together just about every sunday for some lower mich dirt road riding. I have gone with them a couple of times on my GS and always have a ball. Maybe we can both meet up with them sometime this summer...... its far from adventure, but its a good use of a sunday morning.

Congrats on the new ride!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:13 am 
Loves The Taco

So when are we doing the group ride to Alaska? I am definately in. Should I take my CB750 :eek: ? Maybe I will just buy a neat little bike like Matts too.

Two bee ore knot tubey. That is the question.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:04 pm 

I have about 8 different rides to Alaska planned..... I can't plan anymore.

My favorite is :

Building a crate for my bike, and shipping it to Alaska because my wife works for UPS now and it would be free.

Flying to AK, uncrating and then colapsing crate and shipping the crate to the tip of the South America

See where I'm going with this?

Ride south, way south ........ all the way south.

Put bike back in crate and fly home.

2 months. Any takers?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:13 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

strangler wrote:

My favorite is :

Building a crate for my bike, and shipping it to Alaska because my wife works for UPS now and it would be free.

Flying to AK, uncrating and then colapsing crate and shipping the crate to the tip of the South America

2 months. Any takers?

:eek:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:50 pm 

strangler wrote:

My favorite is :

2 months. Any takers?

I seriously would be down for something like this but how are you planning on working out what time of year to go since the seasons are opposite of each other? Alaska has a pretty small time frame of a only a few months when the weather is decently warm so by the time you made it to to south america it would still be late winter or early spring there so weather in a lot of areas could suck.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:52 pm 

Mr.Green wrote:
So when are we doing the group ride to Alaska? I am definately in. Should I take my CB750 :eek: ? Maybe I will just buy a neat little bike like Matts too.

Unless we pull something off and do it this month we have to wait till next year. Weather isn't very good for riding in Alaska much past late August.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:12 am 

When I do it I think I will plan to be in AK in late Aug, WA/OR/CA by mid Sept, MX in late Sept and South America the month of October. Looking to do this one in 2010.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:12 pm 

AWESOME! I don't own a dual sport yet, but have lurked for a while on the adv rider board just for the stories and pictures. If you ever decide to take that beast down any MI trails post up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:32 pm 

Sweet pics. Thanks for posting them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:12 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Buddy moved up to Alaska to work about 2 years ago, he's into the riding thing, check out some of his pics: http://brd.smugmug.com/

He said he did a 6 day 4000 mile trip a month or so ago.....holy crap!

Lucas

[ 18 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic