<- Home Page *Search  

1, 2 Reply to topic Post new topic
So I'm re-restoring my old Honda.....

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:35 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Well, not Re-restoring. I guess this would be the first restore.

The Bike: 1974 Honda CB-125S
It was originally a Detroit Police meter bike. They used it to run around and ticket people for parking violations and such. 7,200 miles.

Yes, 125 C.C.'s of ass kicking power. The bike was given to me probably 10 years ago from my Aunt's ..uahh...."Room mate". It hadn't run in probably 10 years prior to that. The tank was badly rusted, which we had blasted and coated, new coil and condencer. I did what little i could at the time not knowing shit just trying to get it running. The bike always started and ran, just not very well. I could putts around the yard on it, drive it to near-by friends houses, etc.

This spring my Aunt asks me about to bike because she wanted something that she could ride around town on occasionally this summer. She offered to pay up to $1000 in parts and labor for me to get my own bike running and safe, so obviously i jumped on the deal.

The first problem to take care of was a charging issue. I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be some major part that you cant buy anymore, thus making the bike junk. Some testing revealed a bad rectifier. I got online and found them all over for $100, but instead went to my local radio shack and found one with the same stats as OEM for $2.49. Hooked it all up and she was charging like new.

Next on the list was just generally getting the engine running. BikeBandit.com is amazing. They have almost every little nut and bolt and misc. part available for this bike. I ordered a complete engine gasket kit, carb rebuild kit, points, air filter, misc nuts and bolts, all of which went on this morning. The carb took a 4 hour bath in the ultra-sonic vibe and came out spotless.

I havn't tried to fire it again yet because i need a new fuel line and filter which im going to pick up tomorrow from the bike shop when some other parts come in.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:10 pm 

Smokes so bad it needs an ash tray? (see pic 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:48 am 
Loves The Taco

You have an ultrasonic vibe? I have some carbs that need to be cleaned too. I also have a bad rectifier, but only because Zook69 didnt use the lube.

Serious about the carb cleaniing though. I also have a tank that I might want you to paint some time real soon. Ohh I have a CM250 that I will be going thru the same things with once I get my 750 back on the road. My CM250 only has 700 miles on it!!!!

My 250 with double the displacement as yours has 17 mind numbing horse powers!!

Two bee ore knot tubey. That is the question.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:55 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

17? I think your overestimating the 125. Although bad ass, i think its more like 12hp 7 ft/lbs torque.

We have a ultrasonic vibe at work that i used, so its not very readily available. I am looking into getting one of my own though because damn those things are useful.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:48 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Well she runs pretty good, but compression is super low. Its around 75psi and it should be between 160-180psi. Looks like i'll be pulling the head and cylinder. I can do all the valve work and honing and such at school, so it should only cost me a set of rings. Keyword is "should"

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:01 pm 
Loves The Taco

BBQjeeper wrote:
17? I think your overestimating the 125. Although bad ass, i think its more like 12hp 7 ft/lbs torque.

We have a ultrasonic vibe at work that i used, so its not very readily available. I am looking into getting one of my own though because damn those things are useful.

No the 250 has 17 mind numbing horse powers. Your 125 has smaller pistons than mine. Hahahah!!!! LOOSER.

Two bee ore knot tubey. That is the question.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:21 am 

Thanks for the idea with the Radioshack rectifiers. Saved my buddy a boatload of dough on his CB550.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:13 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Fryphax wrote:
Thanks for the idea with the Radioshack rectifiers. Saved my buddy a boatload of dough on his CB550.

No problem :thumb:

The motors going into school today to get reworked. Updates to come soon. I know your all on the edge of your seat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:17 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Frame got painted today. POR 15 chassis coat black. Waiting on the .050 over piston and rings to arrive.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:31 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

UPDATES!!!

The cold season showed some slow progress, but the crack in the weather got me motivated again.

The engine is all back together, sealed up and looking sexier than ever

The progress on the frame. pretty much as far as i can go before hanging the engine.

The once seized forks are now looking sexy. all new bushings, seals, springs, boots, etc..

Rear swing arm. ordered up new spokes and tires F & R. gonna repaint the hubs while they are disassembled as well.

Still on order is a new seat cover, side covers, spokes and tires. Should hav'er done in a few more weeks i hope.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:29 pm 
strangler is hoser's shrink

Nice work Steveo! Keep it up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:15 am 
I SMELL Sh!t

looks great...

May 13 2010: "I should be able to put the body back on in a couple of weeks."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:01 am 

awesome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:05 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

How do you think this would look with painted fenders and headlight bucket? The chrome is good from far, but far from good. Im thinking about blastin em and painting to match the tank and sidecovers. Trying to keep the bike looking somewhat 70's, im thinkin a nice gold with a very heavy flake. I want this thing to explode, bass boat style, in the sun. Maybe eventually some pinstriping.

Pic for reference.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:44 am 
I SMELL Sh!t

bass boat style would be sweet!! do it

May 13 2010: "I should be able to put the body back on in a couple of weeks."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:15 am 

metal flake and gold for the win

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:52 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Woot updates! made some good progress the last couple of days. the fenders and wheels/tires are just for mock up at this point. Wheels gotta come back off for cleaning and new rubbers (if they ever come in!), and fenders for sandblasting and paint once the new sidecovers come. Then everythings getting painted a sexy gold. Got the new seat cover today, gotta stretch that yet. gotta finish wiring, tightening bolts, painting bolt heads, some other misc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:15 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

ALMOST THERE!!! few things left to do. Finish wiring, get the headlight and turn signals mounted. Final mount exhaust, clean up the front wheel and other misc. chrome. Check all the bolts, fill the forks with oil, get the chain on, get the new grips on, etc.

This thing explodes in the sunlight. Not the paint job i was shooting for (Was looking for more of a 70's copper color), but i like the old school look of the gold. I think some old school scrolley flat black pinstriping would be dope. Maybe somewhere down the line...

This winter i still want to respoke the wheels and have some stuff rechromed, but for now I just wanna get the thing on the road.

Before:

Currently:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:23 pm 

Horrendously ugly. Repaint it quick.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:16 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Zook94 wrote:
Horrendously ugly. Repaint it quick.

Your words cut like a knife. I just flat blacked the whole thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:50 pm 

Excellent. Pics?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:36 pm 

nice job

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:26 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Shes purring beautifully at idle and midrange, but high rpms stumble and sputter. Cant figure it out. Point gaps set, timing is dead on, idle and air screws are set according to the owners manual and seem perfect, plug gap, valve clearance etc all good. Not sure what to do next, any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:29 pm 
strangler is hoser's shrink

Exhaust rusted to a point of being a restriction?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:32 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

strangler wrote:
Exhaust rusted to a point of being a restriction?

i'll disco it and give it a shot.

1, 2
[ 31 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic