<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
Adjusting Valves

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:20 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

My sabre valves were pretty noisy so i figured it was time to adjust them. I get in there and check them, they are all about .003, which is a little tight compared to the .0047 spec. I adjust them out to .0045 (my feeler gauges only go down to .0005) and now they are worse!

Everything looked good inside. No visual wear, only 18K on the bike. I know these bikes had probelems with cams pitting due to shitty material, but i saw no signs of this.

What gives? This is my first valve adjustment so im just looking for some input. Should i say fuck it and run it? tear back into it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:06 pm 
strangler is hoser's shrink

So they were loud, and you loosened them....... and their still loud? Hummm.......

Are you sure your just not hearing the cam chains? Are they manually adjustable or hydraulicly dependent?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:53 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

its all manually adjustable. its a finger type rocker-arm cam-follower. Each rocker forks off into two, and opens two valves. They are adjusted using a screw and locknut.

I had to use two .0045 feeler gauges while adjusting them (one for each arm of the twin arm rocker) to prevent the rocker from twisting and giving me weird measurements.

[ 3 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic