<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
Mexico

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:54 pm 

figured I would put the pictures up here too along with the story of it all.

I headed out from Detroit planning on making it to Louisville the first night, to meet up with Steve and we would start out together the next afternoon when he finish his shift at work. A few hours into the trip though, it was dark and got really cold. Soon enough I was seeing snow on the side of the road, and then eventually on bridge overpasses too. Right after I saw a salt truck out and that was the last straw along with being frozen solid myself. Cant finish a motorcycle trip if your dead so I stopped at a hotel hoping the next morning it would be warm enough to melt off. Next morning came and I even slept in some and checked out at 11, to let it warm up even further. Still had to start out in a brisk 28 degrees. Pretty miserable. heading south it quickly warmed and just a few hours south it was comfortably warm and in the 50s. Eventually met up at Steve's house and we took off hoping to get to New Orleans the first night, which is a 700 miles ride.

Having set out a little too late in the afternoon we were a few hours late to actually have any quality bar time on bourbon street, so we stopped a few hours short in southern Mississippi. Talking about it that night we planned to just ride the few hours to New Orleans in the morning and we would spend the rest of the day there getting a hotel just off of bourbon street for Saturday night.

Checking in at the Mariott downtown. Got a lot of looks taking in Steves spare tire he was going to need in the next few days to replace his nearly worn out rear tire. We wanted to change it out near the border though since there is no reason to burn though the new one with all the highway miles.

streetcar tracks in New Orleans

Of course that night we enjoyed the activities of bourbon street and Steve got a few pics with his IPhone for you
front window of a shop on bourbon street

We left in the morning hoping to make it to southern Texas by the end of the day

Rest stop in Houston, at a restaurant

We would make it to Corpus Christi, TX the next night pretty uneventfully. We also made plans for the next day to be another rest/fun day just riding a few hours to South Padre Island TX where spring break was just finishing up.

brush fires in southern texas

Causeway to South Padre Island

Being only a short ride to the Mexico border the next morning we changed out Steve's rear tire at the hotel before, well mostly before the drinking started.

Sunset in south padre, and a little more bar time of course.

Next day was the mexico border and the end of the partying chapter of the trip, well for the most part. No pics of the border because the numerous mexican military guys standing around masks and assault rifles, next to the armored vehicles probably wouldn't have liked it too much. We actually would ask at one of the numerous military checkpoints later in the trip if we could take a picture and it was a quick and definite no. In that case they had a pretty sweet hummer with a roof mounted grenade launcher, so it would have made for a cool picture but oh well. Border process in general went smooth for the most part. When crossing we just rode through the border at first expecting we would be stopped at some booth for mexican immigrations but they let you pass right on though no questions nothing and not even a second glance. I knew from the research before hand though if we didnt get our tourist visas and import our motorcycles we would get turned around and not let any further than the first checkpoint south of the 50 mile or so, border area where nothing of that sort is required. We turned around and got the paperwork sorted and were on our way. There isn't much to see right in the border area of Matamoros and we just blasted though heading south trying to get as far south a possible that night.

Once we saw this sign though we knew we had to stop and get a picture

We continued on trying to make it to Tampico for the night which meant riding at night for over and hour, something we wanted to avoid doing and we paid for it.........

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:12 pm 

As soon as we got into Tampico two transit police offices pulled us over and tried to shake us down. Acting nice at first shaking our hands etc, they turned to saying we were getting an $800 US ticket and we would have to go to the police station. I think at that point because of the reputation of mexican police most tourists offer them a bribe. We however played dumb especially once I realized they didn't want to take us to the police station it was just a threat and they sat around hesitating. They asked how much money we had and we lied saying very little. It was all a waiting game between us and them often just sitting in silence for a few minutes at a time. We played dumb for the most part and we kept telling them we didnt have much money, I also kept saying "ticket today, pay tomorrow" in spanish. In a dumb and ignorant way I kept asking about the police station acting like I thought thats what they wanted and kind of to make the point that I wasn't afraid of going. I actually wasnt because I knew if we went there at least they would be forced to write us a ticket on the up and up and for a real amount not just some insane amount to go into their pockets. Eventually and kind of surprising to me after 45 minutes or so said to suddenly follow them to the police station. They however drove three blocks and turned into a bank instead and another round of the waiting game started up as they were telling us to go to the ATM. Another 20 minutes of playing dumb and they suddenly gave up, shaking our hands, telling us police are our friends and told us we could leave. It was then a quick rush to the nearest hotel before the next cops could see us and get tempted to do it again. We stayed at a nice hotel downtown and left town the next morning like it was on fire. Ever been to Tampico? Dont.

Heading down the coast from there the next goal was the city of Veracruz. The look of everything started to rapid change as well from more desert like to more tropical and a little more mountainous as well. By mid afternoon we were still hours from Veracruz but decided to stop and take a break when the main highway actually curved east and for the first point ran close to the ocean. Steve at a what the the time picked a random spot and abruptly stopped and started turning around in a populated area of people and roadside vendors leaving me thinking he was crazy or something was wrong, especially after he turned down what appeared to be a random side street toward the ocean. After the turn I saw where he was headed. A tiny family run beach side restaurant completely empty, and waiting for us with $1 coronas and all.

More beach after eating

We headed further south and eventually found a nice area to stay and wound up with this place just yards from the beach for $80 or so. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, leather couches, probably the best money we would spend all trip. It also gave us most personal space we had had in awhile

Though tired I decided to wake up early to try and see the sunrise over the ocean. It was a little too cloudy but still relaxing all the same and a great break from the bike. Last thing I wanted to do was sleep in and have to wake up then directly get on the bike.

Steve didn't feel the same, sleeping in much later but after the while I knew I should force him to get up because I knew he would regret not spending anytime enjoying our place on the beach after the fact too. I also gave him my camera and had him take some shots of me trying to ride my heavy bike out in the soft sand.

A view down the beach with all the palm trees.

Eventually we got the point we needed to check out and start riding again. We took a little side trip down a dirt road for a bit to explore and it ended up being one of the most memorable parts of the trip
Steve riding past a guy carrying a mattress

More below

Last edited by DetR6oit on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:27 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

DetR6oit wrote:
More coming soon

Do you have a trip report over on ADV?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:54 pm 

Nice report so far
Damm mexicops suck... I hav e had friends fall for that and one ex mexican worker that said he wouldn't drive back to mexico witha car as last time theyknew hewas working here and had money and theytook is car orsaid he was going to jail so he let them have it

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:18 pm 

Subscribed. Looks like a fun adventure.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:18 pm 

view from another restaurant on the beach

Eventually made it to Veracruz which looked like Mexico's miami. It was really cool and was the nicest mexican city by far. Would have even been a nice US city.
coming back to the bikes one time a few girls came out of a clothing store across the street and wanted to take some pictures with their cell phones with us. They had a hand full of phones then after we got picture too with our camera

Being Easter weekend all hotels were full in Veracruz and we didn't even really have much of an option for staying. We pushed further south and would stay in a town called Alvarado
preparing for a play for easter

random abandoned jail we stopped at.

Most of the trip back north I didnt take many pictures many parts we retraced the same way we came including stopping back in South Padre island once we crossed back into the US

Two days after we crossed back into the US is when Steve had the accident I posted about in the other section on here. He spent over 4 weeks in the Hospital in Corpus Christi Texas, and was moved back here and is currently in the hospital back here in MI.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:51 pm 

For my trip home from Corpus Christi I decided to take the scenic route. I headed North to San Antonio and Austin then west to big bend national park with this route
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 013672&z=4

the Alamo

waterfall area just west of Austin

Abandoned mine

Rio Grande separating the US and Mexico

Leaving there I headed north, and west of Marfa Texas is a fake Prada store in the middle of nowhere done as an Art project and kind of a joke also I assume.
In El Paso Texas looking over to Juarez with a border patrol agent watching.

White sands New Mexico

Last edited by DetR6oit on Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:17 am 

matt, your trips and pictures are amazing. you're a lucky bastard to be able to do them.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:18 pm 

Thank you again for posting. Awesome pics. I love the clouds above the white sand.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:48 pm 

lgottler wrote:
Do you have a trip report over on ADV?

no this is it

[ 10 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic