<- Home Page *Search  



Reply to topic Post new topic
pictures from another trip
 
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:31 am 

Posts: 1228

Offline
This is where I went
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Warren,+MI+48092&daddr=King%27s+Hwy+17+to:TC+to:Chisasibi,+QC,+Canada&geocode=FbKeiAIdQHoM-ymzPVeJldokiDGy5aDJPy3SFw%3BFTDF0AIdUl_0-g%3BFYoQ4AIdMm1W-w%3BFYehMgMdBjVU-ykzFIAf4XEGTTHwLNa3rQwEBQ&hl=en&mra=ls&via=1,2&sll=47.972245,-80.980045&sspn=14.571118,39.506836&ie=UTF8&ll=51.399206,-76.552734&spn=27.257053,79.013672&z=4

Started out the trip on August 7th heading out from here in the Detroit area after work and made it just into the upper peninsula of michigan that night. Woke up saturday morning at the campgound in St. Ignace and was lucky enough to get all the camping gear packed up before the rain started. There would be plenty of rain on and off all the way till about halfway up the James bay road and almost two full days of being wet. This limited my stops to get pictures so this isn't much of a fluid report but figured I had some cool pics to share.

After crossing into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie I headed north up the trans canada along lake superior
Image
Image

A sign on highway 101 while heading east. Got to see my first bear of the trip shortly after this. Was cruising and all of a sudden I notice a bear on its hind legs in the ditch just a few feet away as I passed, by the time I got turned around he was diving into the heavy brush though. I would end up luckier next time though.
Image
Image
Image

Warning sign just after the start of the James Bay road. Oh and FYI, a KTM 990 filled up to the top in Matagami and with one extra gallon of gas gets you there but you have to ride the last km or two leaning the bike over to its left to get the last little bit of fuel to the pump. :D
Image

rupert river bridge picture
Image

Rupert River. Looks like nothing too special in the picture but its huge and one of the most violent rivers I have ever seen. Going to be diverted off by hydro Quebec soon though.
Image

whats left of the Eastmain river since the majority has been diverted
Image

While crossing the eastmain river there were two bikes parked along side the road. I stopped and met Tex and Jerry from PA, and it turned out they had just had a small accident when distracted by the scenic valley, and their bikes made contact but luckily the damage was limited to mostly cosmetic stuff.
Image
Image

I tagged along with Tex and Jerry who turned out to be great guys and we all stayed at the campground in Radison, and the next morning we took the tour of the hydro power complex and the giant spillway. Seeing the giant rotors in the dam spinning at 100+ rpm was quite impressive and loud, but no pictures allowed inside.
Image
Image

That afternoon I split off with Tex and Jerry to head to Chissasibi since I was on a little more of a rushed schedule than they were and I wanted to camp on James bay that night. Got there just in time to watch a beautiful sunset.
Image
Image

Sky was amazingly clear and gave an impressive view. I got to fall asleep staring out at this scene though the screen door on my tent, though there were often 30+ mosquitoes obscuring the view and trying to get inside. I kind of wish now I would have tried to take a better picture and actually got the tripod out.
Image
Image
Image

Never saw any caribou but did see one moose this trip, back in ontario
Image
Image

_________________
Matt


Last edited by DetR6oit on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 
 
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:09 am 
User avatar
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Posts: 1302

Offline
Sweet pics. I bet you'll want to do a similar trip again.
I love the Canadian wilderness. When I was 12, my family took a month to drive the Alaskan Highway. Mom, Dad, my older brother, me and our Golden Retriever in a 10ft pickup camper. 10,000 miles in 30 days. It was awesome. :thumb:

My mom & dad have been going fishing up north of White River every year since 1965. They just stopped about 2 years ago because mom's health isn't up to it. I can't count how many times I've been north of the Soo between fishing and wheeling.

Sorry for the hijack, I just love that area.

_________________
90 YJ with a few things done to it.


Top
   
 
 
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:44 am 
User avatar
Loves The Taco

Posts: 5093

Offline
Bad ass. Why dont you give some of us a heads up before your next journey? You never know who might be able to go with you........ Jealous....

_________________
Image

Two bee ore knot tubey. That is the question.


Top
   
 
 
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:59 am 

Posts: 3649

Offline
WhiteRhino wrote:
Sweet pics. I bet you'll want to do a similar trip again.
I love the Canadian wilderness. When I was 12, my family took a month to drive the Alaskan Highway. Mom, Dad, my older brother, me and our Golden Retriever in a 10ft pickup camper. 10,000 miles in 30 days. It was awesome. :thumb:

My mom & dad have been going fishing up north of White River every year since 1965. They just stopped about 2 years ago because mom's health isn't up to it. I can't count how many times I've been north of the Soo between fishing and wheeling.

Sorry for the hijack, I just love that area.


Would a 1947 Studebaker pickup do 10,000 miles without breakdown when new? They don't now. Do you have any of the black and white stereo slides left? Were home movies "talkies" yet?

_________________
gummy bear wrote:
Bryan is a jerk. :popcorn:


Top
   
 
 
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:10 pm 
User avatar
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Posts: 1302

Offline
Zook94 wrote:
Would a 1947 Studebaker pickup do 10,000 miles without breakdown when new? They don't now. Do you have any of the black and white stereo slides left? Were home movies "talkies" yet?


hahahaha :alumcj: :alumcj:
Actually, it was 1969. My dad bought a brand new Ford pickup, 2-tone with chrome bumpers and hub caps just for the trip. :woot:

There are tons of old 3x3 pics around somewhere. My dad spliced together about an hour's worth of home movies. All in color but no talkie. :alumcj: Everything from scenery to forest fires to flowers to moose to mountain goats & of course......... me.

_________________
90 YJ with a few things done to it.


Top
   
 
 
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:51 pm 

Posts: 3649

Offline
Your dad had the foresight to video you with mountain goats??

Throw them up on youtube!!!

_________________
gummy bear wrote:
Bryan is a jerk. :popcorn:


Top
   
 
 
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:34 pm 

Posts: 1228

Offline
WhiteRhino wrote:
Sweet pics. I bet you'll want to do a similar trip again.
I love the Canadian wilderness. When I was 12, my family took a month to drive the Alaskan Highway. Mom, Dad, my older brother, me and our Golden Retriever in a 10ft pickup camper. 10,000 miles in 30 days. It was awesome. :thumb:

My mom & dad have been going fishing up north of White River every year since 1965. They just stopped about 2 years ago because mom's health isn't up to it. I can't count how many times I've been north of the Soo between fishing and wheeling.

Sorry for the hijack, I just love that area.




This is already my second bike trip into Canada, last year I rode to Newfoundland when I first bought this bike. I love taking trip just about anywhere in Canada. I still want to do a western canada trip and also the trans labrador highway.

_________________
Matt


Top
   
 
 
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:36 pm 

Posts: 1228

Offline
Mr.Green wrote:
Bad ass. Why dont you give some of us a heads up before your next journey? You never know who might be able to go with you........ Jealous....



well for my next trip I am thinking of hitting up all of the central american countries sometime this winter.

_________________
Matt


Top
   
 
 
 PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:36 am 
User avatar
Loves The Taco

Posts: 5093

Offline
DetR6oit wrote:
Mr.Green wrote:
Bad ass. Why dont you give some of us a heads up before your next journey? You never know who might be able to go with you........ Jealous....



well for my next trip I am thinking of hitting up all of the central american countries sometime this winter.


Nice, but FYI, the Canadians are much more friendly. How long are you planning on the trip taking? Are you planning on going alone?????

_________________
Image

Two bee ore knot tubey. That is the question.


Top
   
 
 
 PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:56 am 

Posts: 1313

Offline
That's awesome. We gone through Lake Superior Provincial Park a handful of times, and I love that area. I would love to head further north on more than a few hour excursion.


Top
   
 
 
 PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:52 pm 
User avatar
strangler is hoser's shrink

Posts: 4679

Offline
Mr.Green wrote:
DetR6oit wrote:
Mr.Green wrote:
Bad ass. Why dont you give some of us a heads up before your next journey? You never know who might be able to go with you........ Jealous....



well for my next trip I am thinking of hitting up all of the central american countries sometime this winter.


Nice, but FYI, the Canadians are much more friendly. How long are you planning on the trip taking? Are you planning on going alone?????

:foshizzle:

_________________
Currently fearing a Rubiconish pile of parts......


Top
   
 
 
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:53 am 

Posts: 1228

Offline
Mr.Green wrote:
Nice, but FYI, the Canadians are much more friendly. How long are you planning on the trip taking? Are you planning on going alone?????



Yeah probably alone. As for time I would probably take a leave from work or maybe just quit and just go for as long as I feel like, or have money. I don't have any real set plans on anything though yet.

_________________
Matt


Top
   
 
 
 PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:17 pm 

Posts: 2380

Offline
Awesome Pics Matt, I am supremely jealous.


Top
   
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

[ 13 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic


Who is online

Jump to:  

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest



cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group