<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
pictures from another trip

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:31 am 

This is where I went
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Warren,+MI+48092&daddr=King%27s+Hwy+17+to:TC+to:Chisasibi,+QC,+Canada&geocode=FbKeiAIdQHoM-ymzPVeJldokiDGy5aDJPy3SFw%3BFTDF0AIdUl_0-g%3BFYoQ4AIdMm1W-w%3BFYehMgMdBjVU-ykzFIAf4XEGTTHwLNa3rQwEBQ&hl=en&mra=ls&via=1,2&sll=47.972245,-80.980045&sspn=14.571118,39.506836&ie=UTF8&ll=51.399206,-76.552734&spn=27.257053,79.013672&z=4

Started out the trip on August 7th heading out from here in the Detroit area after work and made it just into the upper peninsula of michigan that night. Woke up saturday morning at the campgound in St. Ignace and was lucky enough to get all the camping gear packed up before the rain started. There would be plenty of rain on and off all the way till about halfway up the James bay road and almost two full days of being wet. This limited my stops to get pictures so this isn't much of a fluid report but figured I had some cool pics to share.

After crossing into Canada at Sault Ste. Marie I headed north up the trans canada along lake superior

A sign on highway 101 while heading east. Got to see my first bear of the trip shortly after this. Was cruising and all of a sudden I notice a bear on its hind legs in the ditch just a few feet away as I passed, by the time I got turned around he was diving into the heavy brush though. I would end up luckier next time though.

Warning sign just after the start of the James Bay road. Oh and FYI, a KTM 990 filled up to the top in Matagami and with one extra gallon of gas gets you there but you have to ride the last km or two leaning the bike over to its left to get the last little bit of fuel to the pump. :D

rupert river bridge picture

Rupert River. Looks like nothing too special in the picture but its huge and one of the most violent rivers I have ever seen. Going to be diverted off by hydro Quebec soon though.

whats left of the Eastmain river since the majority has been diverted

While crossing the eastmain river there were two bikes parked along side the road. I stopped and met Tex and Jerry from PA, and it turned out they had just had a small accident when distracted by the scenic valley, and their bikes made contact but luckily the damage was limited to mostly cosmetic stuff.

I tagged along with Tex and Jerry who turned out to be great guys and we all stayed at the campground in Radison, and the next morning we took the tour of the hydro power complex and the giant spillway. Seeing the giant rotors in the dam spinning at 100+ rpm was quite impressive and loud, but no pictures allowed inside.

That afternoon I split off with Tex and Jerry to head to Chissasibi since I was on a little more of a rushed schedule than they were and I wanted to camp on James bay that night. Got there just in time to watch a beautiful sunset.

Sky was amazingly clear and gave an impressive view. I got to fall asleep staring out at this scene though the screen door on my tent, though there were often 30+ mosquitoes obscuring the view and trying to get inside. I kind of wish now I would have tried to take a better picture and actually got the tripod out.

Never saw any caribou but did see one moose this trip, back in ontario

Last edited by DetR6oit on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:09 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Sweet pics. I bet you'll want to do a similar trip again.
I love the Canadian wilderness. When I was 12, my family took a month to drive the Alaskan Highway. Mom, Dad, my older brother, me and our Golden Retriever in a 10ft pickup camper. 10,000 miles in 30 days. It was awesome. :thumb:

My mom & dad have been going fishing up north of White River every year since 1965. They just stopped about 2 years ago because mom's health isn't up to it. I can't count how many times I've been north of the Soo between fishing and wheeling.

Sorry for the hijack, I just love that area.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:44 am 
Loves The Taco

Bad ass. Why dont you give some of us a heads up before your next journey? You never know who might be able to go with you........ Jealous....

Two bee ore knot tubey. That is the question.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:59 am 

WhiteRhino wrote:
I love the Canadian wilderness. When I was 12, my family took a month to drive the Alaskan Highway. Mom, Dad, my older brother, me and our Golden Retriever in a 10ft pickup camper. 10,000 miles in 30 days. It was awesome. :thumb:

My mom & dad have been going fishing up north of White River every year since 1965. They just stopped about 2 years ago because mom's health isn't up to it. I can't count how many times I've been north of the Soo between fishing and wheeling.

Would a 1947 Studebaker pickup do 10,000 miles without breakdown when new? They don't now. Do you have any of the black and white stereo slides left? Were home movies "talkies" yet?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:10 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Zook94 wrote:
Would a 1947 Studebaker pickup do 10,000 miles without breakdown when new? They don't now. Do you have any of the black and white stereo slides left? Were home movies "talkies" yet?

hahahaha :alumcj: :alumcj:
Actually, it was 1969. My dad bought a brand new Ford pickup, 2-tone with chrome bumpers and hub caps just for the trip. :woot:

There are tons of old 3x3 pics around somewhere. My dad spliced together about an hour's worth of home movies. All in color but no talkie. :alumcj: Everything from scenery to forest fires to flowers to moose to mountain goats & of course......... me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:51 pm 

Your dad had the foresight to video you with mountain goats??

Throw them up on youtube!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:34 pm 

WhiteRhino wrote:

This is already my second bike trip into Canada, last year I rode to Newfoundland when I first bought this bike. I love taking trip just about anywhere in Canada. I still want to do a western canada trip and also the trans labrador highway.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:36 pm 

Mr.Green wrote:
Bad ass. Why dont you give some of us a heads up before your next journey? You never know who might be able to go with you........ Jealous....

well for my next trip I am thinking of hitting up all of the central american countries sometime this winter.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:36 am 
Loves The Taco

DetR6oit wrote:
Mr.Green wrote:

well for my next trip I am thinking of hitting up all of the central american countries sometime this winter.

Nice, but FYI, the Canadians are much more friendly. How long are you planning on the trip taking? Are you planning on going alone?????

Two bee ore knot tubey. That is the question.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:56 am 

That's awesome. We gone through Lake Superior Provincial Park a handful of times, and I love that area. I would love to head further north on more than a few hour excursion.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:52 pm 
strangler is hoser's shrink

Mr.Green wrote:
DetR6oit wrote:
Mr.Green wrote:

Nice, but FYI, the Canadians are much more friendly. How long are you planning on the trip taking? Are you planning on going alone?????

:foshizzle:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:53 am 

Mr.Green wrote:

Yeah probably alone. As for time I would probably take a leave from work or maybe just quit and just go for as long as I feel like, or have money. I don't have any real set plans on anything though yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:17 pm 

Awesome Pics Matt, I am supremely jealous.

[ 13 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic