<- Home Page *Search  

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Reply to topic Post new topic
Stranglers next money pit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:24 am 
strangler is hoser's shrink

New plan.

Shortening the wheelbase from 156 to 137. Keeping the rear leafs. Adding a divorced 205 behing my 241 to help my front driveshaft angle as well as have a dune-friendly 22:1, a trail friendly 30.5:1 and a rock friendly 60:1. Twin-sticked for fun. Bobbed frame and box, doved boxsides. I'd live to narrow the front, but not right away. 15k Ramsey. 40's or 42's and no taller than it sits today. Lots of trimming. Full interior cage and some tube around the boxsides. A/C, CD, Cruise, Power Leather, Tilt, Etc. When the trans blows it will recieve a FMVB and an Art Carr style shifter built into the console.

Discuss :popcorn:

Last edited by strangler on Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:36 am 

maybe it's just the setups that I have run but the 3 double case setups I have been in have all clattered like hell when you coast above 45mph or so.... I would stick to a single case.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:35 am 
Loves The Taco

I would suggest leaving all of the bolts and hardware finger tight so it will be easier to dis-assembly when the future part out begins. JM .02$

Two bee ore knot tubey. That is the question.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:11 am 

I bought a divorced 205 this weekend, but in order to run it I will have to re-create all the front lower mounts on the front as the driveshaft will now want to be where my crossmember is. Something to think about anyway.

Has anyone seen a chevy cage go through the dash like we do with the TJ's? It looks like there is a crosscar beam that might pose a problem, but if we go around the dash it will look dumb and be in the way of my knee. Bed will be coming off this week and I will shorten the wheelbase just as quick. I may cut down my driveshaft now just to keep it drivable while still using the single stock t-case.

Got a PM in to the guy on g-l for the used 42's on steelies too. Well see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:41 am 

Sold the H2's, and I think the All Terrains are sold too. I traded my 8274 for a brand new Warn M120000000 with 7/16 cable, its pretty fuggin beefy. I am shopping for tires and wheels right now and have already purchased enough steel to get a start on the cage. I decided on an Exo, as the roof would need to be cut off to do an interior cage as tight as I would have wanted it. 2x4x1/4 sliders with 1.75 DOM exo and bed supports. I am trying to find someone to loan me some rollers so I can move it from the backyard to the driveway so I can pull the box and shorten the wheelbase. The factory fuel tank will fit sideways in the front of the box, clearing by less than an inch. It will be covered by some sort of toolbox. Narrowing the front looks like its going to be a bitch, but I really want to do it. I really like the way Redmud did his:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by strangler on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:23 am 

I narrowed the front clip on my old quick cobble fu$K wheeler. It wasn't all that hard. It took longer to make inner wheel wells than anything.

Mine looked like $hit but I didnt care either, I knew I was going to be scrapping the truck after a 1 wheeling season.

When I did mine I wanted to keep the ease of bolting the fenders on and off. So I trimmed the outer 1" of metal off the core support, that way I could retain the factory bolt locations. I then took 8" off the edges, then welded the 1" pieces back on to the narrowed section of the core support. This way I was also able to retain my factory radiator mounts, and not have to cut the hole larger for the radiator opening.

Keep in mind you core support will move back about 3-4" from factory. I just welded a piece of plate steel to the factory frame mount.

The hood I was going to piece 2 hoods together, to make all the lines nice but after about 8 beers and a lotta screwing around I lite the torch, cut the ends off loaded it on the trailer and went wheeling in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:54 pm 

:thumb: :beer:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:35 pm 

Current, or I guess "Before" Pics.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:08 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

u is hillbilly

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:45 pm 

Tires are finalized, thanks Spro. 40" MTR's.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:49 am 

I really need to stop trying to do everything by myself.

I almost died.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:54 am 

you just made my day.

I hope you were un injured in the event and the wife was standing inside laughing at you.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:34 am 
Aiden's Bitch

haha thats pretty humerous

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:20 am 

:thumb: :lol:

I've found picnic tables work pretty good for that, ya just slide the box off the back on to the table. Thats the way I used to do it when I was a kid, alone. Mom wasnt happy when I put casters on her picnic table though...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:31 pm 

Truggy building going on right now. Free beer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:10 pm 

-19"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:15 pm 

Couple more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:40 pm 

I'm sad your hacking this truck up, I always secretly had man crush on this truck. I still have man crush for BDMT's.

I hope it is cool when you are done. :thumb: :beer:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:01 am 

the city let you do this hillbilly shit in your driveway :popcorn:
and your neighbors must love :P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:51 pm 

Completely fuggin badass. I'm debating not dovetailing the box, but just shortening it before the tire and bobbing it after, keeping the tailights and tailgate. The fuel tank is going to lay sideways across the front of the box, so I will only have 3 or so feet of useable space. Thoughts? Dovetail or just shorten? And why?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:54 pm 

Oh, and the 3" block is coming out of the rear tomorrow. Currently the belly is 29" and I think I will be buying some 1" or 1.5" wheel spacers to buy me a little more room between the tire and the frame.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:30 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

i thought you said them tires were in good shape the first wear bar is already gone dummy :alumcj:

i would just shorten it

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:38 pm 
Super Picky, Never Sticky

I'd just shorten the bed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:17 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

scott i beat you done so you can change your sig line

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:48 pm 
Dirty DaVe

dave has the right idea.
roger that.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5
[ 124 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic