<- Home Page *Search  

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Reply to topic Post new topic
TJ Engine Swap x2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:53 am 

done yet? :poke:

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:39 pm 

Jess and I tried to start it the other night, but it would turn over. I spent some time with it today, and the fuel pump is now priming and the starter is turning the motor. I didn't crank it for long, just enough to see if it'd turn over.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:27 pm 

It started and ran for about 5 seconds. I didn't run it longer because it needs exhaust and the lower rad hose, plus steering plumbed.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:44 pm 

So does this mean test drive on Tuesday???

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:44 pm 

it moved 2 feet forward and 2 feet back.

steering is plumbed, radiator plumbed, brakes done except one hard line, and electric fan is wired to the ECM.

any idea what fitting it is on the TJ master cylinder?

Thanks for the help Jess.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:07 am 
Aiden's Bitch

JohnnyJ wrote:
it moved 2 feet forward and 2 feet back.

steering is plumbed, radiator plumbed, brakes done except one hard line, and electric fan is wired to the ECM.

any idea what fitting it is on the TJ master cylinder?

Thanks for the help Jess.

its metric from what i remember i think i have some let me check

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:24 pm 

picked a couple up from stubs, thanks anyway.

I drove it around the yard today, everything worked pretty well. Next up is getting exhaust. Driving around the yard with open headers is only so much fun.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:31 pm 

does it peel out?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:35 pm 

yes, but be sure to lift your feet out of the foot well before letting go of the throttle.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:34 pm 

a few progress pics.

one pic shows the trans cooler I'm using to cool my steering. Jess built the mount to put it behind the rad fan, but in a place that we won't need to take it out unless I'm changing the fan or motor. After Mike's cooler broke the zip tie tabs on a rollover, I also didn't want to use those.

next pic is the cleaned up shock, steering plumbing and you can see a little of the brake line. it's run down the upper control arm, and t's off and runs on top of the axles to 18" flex lines.

and also a pic of the jeep in the garage sitting at 20" belly and 5.5" up travel up front.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:08 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

:thumb: :thumb:

Rocks and Valley's grand opening next weekend. :poke:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:24 pm 

Daughter's fifth birthday part next weekend. :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:25 pm 

still a bit loud and firey in the cabin for a trail ride just yet. Does run very nicely though. Not bad after what we did to those poor harnesses. Proof will be when it runs an entire trailride with out an electrical fire...

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:19 pm 

thanks for the vote of confidence. :alumcj:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:28 pm 

Still looks like a crappy Jeep, better try again.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:41 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Priorities John. :slap:

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:20 pm 

Exhaust was put on Monday. I plugged in the front O2s tonight and took it for a spin after doing a quick nut and bolt to make sure it didn't fall apart going down the road.

The computer is not 100% happy, and it keeps wanting to stall when you rev it with no load, but it seems to drive fine, or as good as it gets when running hand throttle.

The exhaust is good, not loud, but will give some noise if you get on it. I can say that this thing is one helluva lot faster than with the 4.0. Especially in mid to high rpms. Should be tons of fun at the dunes.

here's how it looked for the parade lap around the block. oh yeah, death wobble is gone up to about 50mph.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:35 pm 

God damn, that thing sure is ugly. What type of offroading vehicle is it? It looks kind of rusty and beat up underneath. Did you fix it up yourself? Does it peel out? Can it flex on a parking block? Did you get stuck in the grass in that picture? A real offroading truck usually has dirt on it, and yours seems pretty clean. Is it brand new? I really want a brand new vehicle, but I don't think that I will let it rust like that. You must not really care how you maintain your cars. I would have gave the dealer hell about rusty spots on the frame.

And its missing doors.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:30 pm 

How many cfm does your heart pump have? my compressor has a hard time keeping up with my sandblasting pot, maybe i could borrow it so that I clean up the POS and get it up to your high standards.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:17 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

John, just and FYI. We got stopped in Canada last year & although it sounds silly, they require inner fender wells up front. Seems they don't allow water & mud to be splashed on an engine.

Yes, you will have fun at the dunes. :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:59 pm 

I still think we should have done the glove box door instead of all the steering and what not the other night, that would have been way cooler.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:19 am 

More stuff tackled last night. Jess tightened up the oil pressure sensor and that seemed to be the source of my engine oil leak. Firewall is pretty much patched up, definitely good enough to take it for a spin around the block for the first time using the gas pedal.

ECM and battery are mounted again. Still have a handful of small stuff to do, but getting pretty close to being ready to run a trail.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:49 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

I think Strangler knows a good place around Fenton.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:27 am 
strangler is hoser's shrink

Easy Jim.....

Thats not funny.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:25 pm 

dash a bit more in. I have a cj glovebox and jesus bar that I want to mount, as well as the cb, heater, and in cab winch controls. This will do. the pass side needs one more coat of spray bomb.

I've cleaned up the harness both under dash and under hood, and buttoned up a ton of little stuff. It's getting close.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
[ 146 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic