<- Home Page *Search  

1, 2 Reply to topic Post new topic
JeepM715 BTF Build-Up

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:52 am 

Here's a bunch of pics of JeepM715's (Jesse) BTF 3-seater Fusion chassis build up. He bought the chassis the summer of 2006 and we just finished it up so that he could take it to the dunes this past week for a shake down run.

Work was slow until we started working on it every Wednesday night since Christmas. There's still more to do on it, but it was good enough to run for 2 days at the dunes with no issues.

Here's some specs:

BTF Fusion 3-seater chassis with 110" wheelbase, TJ hood and grille
4-link front and rear (double triangulated rear, parallel upper and triangulated lower in the front)
350 TBI (Hoser's old motor) / TH-400 / Stak 2-speed with 4.3 low
39" BFG Krawlers on H2 Rims with Stauns
14" Rock Shocks (2" air shocks from Rock Equipment)
1978/79 Dana 60s front and rear, stock width, 5.38s, Detroits, 35-spline rear shafts, Chevy 3/4-ton brakes on all corners
2 Big ass PRP seats and a kiddy PRP for the back
Speedway radiator and Jeep Grand Cherokee electric fan
TSC ram and fork lift steering valve
Warn 8000 lb winch front, Warn ATV winch rear
12V guy switch panel (ign, crank, lights, heat, f&r winch)

Here's the drivetrain all bolted together getting ready for engine install. We offset it 2" towards the passenger side to allow for extra room for the front driveshaft. This allowed us to run a straight 1410 shaft with no pillow block.

You can also see some of the front link setup. It's running nearly parallel uppers and V'd lowers all using BTF parts. I think front AS/AD is about 50% and the roll center was pretty much flat.

Last edited by JohnnyJ on Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:00 am 

Here's the front brakes. Brackets are from a guy off e-bay.

Shocks mounted and rollers on it. The suspension was built at full compression to make sure everything cleared. It was setup to have about 20" of belly with 4" of up travel.

Of course, you gotta flex it in the garage.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:04 am 

Krawlers are here.

It sees daylight.

Manual brakes to keep it easy and allow for plastic brake lines.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:08 am 

The seats show up. Seat bar idea taken from Bryan's build up. Seats were huge and made the inside of the BTF chassis seem small.

Now flexing outside. The tire just barely rubs on the fender tube before the shocks bottom out. I love it when a plan comes together.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:10 am 

The forever and a day floor project.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:19 am 

The chassis was painted by a friend using some industrial floor epoxy at the end of June with the hope that we could reassemble enough of the buggy to be ready to hit the dunes the week after July 4th.

We spent two of the normal Wed night wrench-a-thons to get the engine in and axles back under it. Then we thrashed the Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday of the week of the 4th to put in all the panels, plumb it and wire it for the dunes. Plus, Jess was getting out to the garage as much as possible when we weren't around.

On Sat night the brakes were plumbed and bled, hydro lines run, exhaust finished and all of the electrical except the 12V guy panel was done and we tried to fire the engine just after dinner.

It had no spark, so after a cleaning up the distributor, putting on new plugs, wires, cap and rotor it still wouldn't go. We pulled out the MSD box and it fired right up. So now it's running bone stock.

Then the hydro was all f'd up. The valve had some bad seals and the steering acted like nothing I'd ever seen. If you touched the wheel it'd turn a little the way you wanted and the spin back a bunch in the other direction. Jess was able to get a rebuild kit and it's working fine now.

I don't have any pics of it done or of it wheeling at the dunes. I know some other folks had cameras, so hopefully we'll get some pics. Maybe Jess will take some driveway shots and I'll post them up, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:40 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Looks a tad bit lighter than his last rig. :lol:

Nice. :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:32 pm 

on the note of old rigs. did "square thing" get sold. I saw afew pics of the square tube rig at a mudbog in howell and it looked like it had been worked over more towards mudding.

HOGGIN AND BOGGIN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:13 pm 

The square thing was Kevin's old rig. He pulled that body off and sold it to some guy out this way who put it on 54 boggers. I saw it for sale on racingjunk about a month ago. Kevin kept all of his drivetrain and is putting it into a Datsun pickup, except he's swapping the 350 for a 5.3.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:41 pm 

Yeah Jim, it has to be in the neighborhood of half the weight of the 715.

We bombed around the dunes and ran it hard for the 2 days with no problems. I found 1 of the lockout hubs loose when I got home, and some rubbing on the upper links that we expected, along with a bit of rubbing on the bottom of the fender bars. Everything else looks real good, not even a puddle on the trailer from anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:23 pm 

Here's the fan shroud we put together to put the JGC fan on the speedway radiator.

How it looked for the dunes. I dunno if these pics are before or after. When Jess got there we put some more N2 in the shocks to lift it up more for playing at the dunes, so I'm guessing these are from before based on the height.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:38 am 

lookin good. now paint them h2 wheels :thumb:

HOGGIN AND BOGGIN

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:50 am 

yea it turned out real nice. saw it before you guys left the dunes. even had a new scratch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:16 pm 

Yeah, took a tree down the passenger side, wrinkled the hood a bit and tore the fiberglass cowl. If anyone happens to have a steel TJ cowl, I am in the market. That glass piece of shit has to go!

I hadn't thought much about painting the H2s, they match the ones on my Sierra now...Yours are black??? Maybe body color, who knows.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:48 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

i had the same problem with cowls on mine i was going to make side plates for it out of 1/4 inch

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:22 pm 

Nice going goober.

JeepM715 wrote:
Yeah, took a tree down the passenger side, wrinkled the hood a bit and tore the fiberglass cowl. If anyone happens to have a steel TJ cowl, I am in the market. That glass piece of shit has to go!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:39 pm 

Yeah, yeah, nothing but sand for miles and I hit a tree.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:52 pm 

looks good!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:35 pm 

hey, what size radiator did you get? was it just 22" wide?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:18 pm 

26" one...

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/3557,34 ... 20aluminum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:51 am 
Aiden's Bitch

holy cheap radiator nice find

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:54 am 

thanks for the link to speedway, I was wondering where to get my radiator from, they are by far the cheapest place i have seen! a Ron Davis for @240 is pretty cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:25 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

The other nice thing about those radiators is that they are a brazed construction. I have the epoxied one from Summit & I'm wondering how long it will last.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:26 am 

Speedway has tons of stuff that we can use that is value priced.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:20 pm 

Yeah, the old man from speedway is going to be sending me a christmas card this year. The speed they get shit here from Nebraska is ridiculous too, order on Monday, have it Wednesday for standard shipping.

1, 2
[ 48 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic