<- Home Page *Search  

1, 2 Reply to topic Post new topic
1985 Toyota Build

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:14 am 
Webwheelerousmaximus

Most of you know I bought Karl's truck about this time last year. It works great, but it seriously needs some help. The final straw was when I lost the clutch at the mounds in December.

I've got a 22re, W56, and dual cases almost ready to drop in. I just ordered my new clutch, 4.7:1 gears for the rear tcase, and a few other fun things from Marlin. This weekend I'm hoping to get the engine swapped in and start the wiring.

I'll update this as stuff happens. I need everything done by May 1 and I'll be out of town for half of Feb and March on business :woot:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:21 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

I'm looking to buy an 84 right now, so I'll be interested to see what you'll be doing. I hope to buy it next weekend, but unless my parents pay me back before then, It might take a little while longer and I dont know if the guys willing to wait.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:24 pm 
Webwheelerousmaximus

Right now it's just the driveline swap and dual cases. I have some other plans, but those are farther down the road because of cost. The truck already does everything I want, but it needs EFI and lower gearing. This will solve the only real problems I have with it.

Next winter I'd like to finish the tube bed and link the rear with coilovers. Unless I get some free coilovers before then.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:45 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Sounds kind of like what I'd like to do. The one I'm looking at is up for sale over on "The new MJ", already doesnt have a bed. Already EFI swapped, cut up, and said to fit 39's the way it sits. Coarse, I'll need some gears before I go that big. I actually like the idea of a doubler more then gears, just dont know enough about 'em.

Just cause I have nothing better to do until I buy it and because I can, I'm gonna start a 3D rendering of what I want it to look like. I'll post it up here just for shits and giggles.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:25 pm 
Webwheelerousmaximus

Toyotas are easy to build. Run a doubler, get lower gears for the back case, gear the axles to 5.29, buy Longfields for the front axle, then enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:08 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Sounds expensive :lol:

I guess I cant be a cheapskate forever when it comes to wheelin' though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:06 pm 
Webwheelerousmaximus

That's still cheaper (and better if you ask me) than swapping 60s under a heep.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:21 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

So yeah.. I got bored tonight and started that render of what I'd like to build.

I know its not an '84 pickup, but its what I had to start with.

I havent got much done.. but I started putting a cage over the bed because I'd like to be able to take more then one person with me. I figure I could cut out the back of the cab, put a set of buckets back there. I know its not structurally strong yet.

Yeah, I pretty much have no life until I get a truck to play with.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:03 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Does your pickup have the high pinion front end under it?

I'm going to look at that 84 tomorrow, (hopefully buy it) and it has the high pinion front end. From what I've read, apparently they are sort of rare, and cost some big money to put gears in. You know anything about them?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:55 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

looks good, only thing you might want to get rid of is the big rolled tube and just make it straight much easier.

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:04 am 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Yeah I got a little carried away with that. Just couldnt picture another way to have it outside of the cab to protect it.

I started to do another one, but when I go to check out and hopefully by that truck tonight, I'll post it in my own thread instead of here, so I'm not littering his thread with anymore useless crap.

Last edited by Rebel2345 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:06 am 
strangler is hoser's shrink

:rolleyes: Little late.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:19 am 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Fixed my previous post.

Someone can go ahead and delete those if you want.

But my one question about the high pinion front still stands.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:21 pm 
Webwheelerousmaximus

High pinion would be nice. Gears are $225 from Marlin instead of $195 for regular pinion. I don't see that as being a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:57 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Now that I DO own a Toyota, I will be watching this thread :thumb:

You'll move along a lot faster then I will, so I wont be making a buildup thread of my own for now. But I'm also done posting here unless it has to do with your truck. Sorry for the mess.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:06 pm 
Webwheelerousmaximus

Everything is unbolted from the engine, wiring is out, and I'm going to pull the engine tomorrow. My new engine appears to be ready to drop in and the wiring looks like it will be fairly easy to sort out :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:51 pm 
Webwheelerousmaximus

I'm slowly getting stuff done. I took the doubler apart today and I'm taking the back case to Jeeperz Creeperz to get the 4.7:1 gears installed first thing in the am tomorrow. All my other parts are in, so hopefully the engine will be done this weekend.

This would be easier if I had installed some overhead lighting in the garage before I started the driveline swap.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:58 am 
Webwheelerousmaximus

So, all my parts were here and this was going to be finished this weekend. Then some fuckbag stole all my truck parts.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=86478

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:31 am 

:rocket:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:11 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Bastards! People like that piss me off. I read they have the guy on tape, so lets hope they catch him.

My dad and I noticed someone tried to break into our garage too. I dont know how they didnt get in, we dont have a deadbolt or anything.

All there is, is the small metal plate that the door latches to. I guess it was a good thing there are 3 layers of 2x4's there, and that my dad used 4 inch screws to lock that sucker in when he built it.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy some kind of alarm and maybe even a video system to put infront of the garage for him. As broke as my family is, I'd hate to see him get ripped off since theres probably no way he could afford to replace all of it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:22 pm 
Webwheelerousmaximus

I got the trans, crawl box, and doubler back. My rear case (which just got 4.7:1 gears installed) is melted down somewhere :bitch:

The guy who scrapped my parts got $10 for a working W56 with a front tcase and doubler adapter installed. The 4.7:1 case got him $18. I saw the shiny doubler sticking out from a pile of scrap at the scrapyard, so I got the back and we now know who took my parts. I'm still out ~$1k in parts plus the time to get things put back together and I also have no impact wrench, grinder, etc right now.

I did get my BudBuilt skidplate painted today. That thing is beefy as hell. A very nice product. Now I just need another case to bolt to it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:57 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

If you get to have a little "talk" with him, you should let him know that his dumb ass scrapped parts that he could have sold for $1K.

I'm sure he'd feel pretty flippin' dumb after that.

Or, just knock his head off.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:25 pm 
Webwheelerousmaximus

He's only 19 and has a drug problem. I doubt he has the brains to know how to sell the stuff he steals for good money.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:33 pm 

yj88 wrote:
He's only 19 and has a drug problem. I doubt he has the brains to know how to sell the stuff he steals for good money.

sounds like he needs an old fashioned beating to make sure he doesnt do it again.

its good to hear you got most of it back, at least you arent starting over. :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:05 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Anything going on with this lately? :poke:

1, 2
[ 26 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic