<- Home Page *Search  

1, 2, 3 Reply to topic Post new topic
Not hardkore yj build.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:23 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

have a pair of xj springs our welcome to.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:37 pm 

anyone ever drill a main leaf to get the axle further back? i want to move the rear axle back but i dont want the lift of the waggy springs.

Team Mall Crawler #669
A-Z Fabrication

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:55 pm 

Bmf24 wrote:
anyone ever drill a main leaf to get the axle further back? i want to move the rear axle back but i dont want the lift of the waggy springs.

I have heard of people doing it, but drilling through leaf springs sucks.

Recent $$$ shortage has forced me to decide to leave the wheelbase stretch out of the equation for now.

I am installing a front locker and a cage and calling it good for the time being.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:37 am 

Bmf24 wrote:

Its not hard at all. If you only drill the main, you are gonna throw spring rates right out the wondow. Sammy guys re-drill jeep springs all the time. Its easiest to drill the pack assembled, insert new locating pin, then take the old crap apart.

Also watch how far you move the axle back, because pinion angle is a bitch.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:49 pm 

Mr.Zook94 wrote:
Bmf24 wrote:

Its not hard at all. If you only drill the main, you are gonna throw spring rates right out the wondow. Sammy guys re-drill jEeP springs all the time. Its easiest to drill the pack assembled, insert new locating pin, then take the old crap apart.

pinion isnt set yet, the perches arent welded yet.

so your saying to drill the whole spring pack, not just the main leaf?

Team Mall Crawler #669
A-Z Fabrication

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:42 pm 

Bmf24 wrote:
Mr.Zook94 wrote:
Bmf24 wrote:

Its not hard at all. If you only drill the main, you are gonna throw spring rates right out the wondow. Sammy guys re-drill jEeP springs all the time. Its easiest to drill the pack assembled, insert new locating pin, then take the old crap apart.

Affirmative.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:15 pm 

Mr.Zook94 wrote:
Bmf24 wrote:
Mr.Zook94 wrote:
Bmf24 wrote:

Affirmative.

guess me and the drill press are going to spend some quality time together.
now i am wondering if its worth it.

Team Mall Crawler #669
A-Z Fabrication

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:36 pm 

sharpen up a concrete drill so it's pointed like a regular steel cutting twist drill. the carbide insert will cut the spring steel much easier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:35 pm 

Front locker is installed. Went with an Aussie. TJ shafts installed for slightly bigger u joint.

Cage is coming along.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:43 pm 

awesome picture quality

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:43 am 

did xander take that pic?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:55 am 

JohnnyJ wrote:
did xander take that pic?
Yes LOL.

:alumcj:

I'll actually take my camera over there one of these days and get some pics. Or maybe when its done.

Oh, and it needs gussets and triangulation and you should have used different tube and the frame tie ins arent right and those welds will never hold......that should cover it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:07 am 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Buddy had luck with an offset spring perch, but he only offset his about 2"...

Lucas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:06 am 
Aiden's Bitch

wheres the pics

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:38 pm 

Hosejockey4506 wrote:
wheres the pics

:thumb:

coming along slowly. Now that my "bender/fabricator" has started on his chassis the amount of work I have gotten done has started to slow considerably as I have a hard time visualizing and knowing where to start. The cage is mostly welded up, front seats are in, Gotta do frame tie ins and Xanders seat mount. Pull it out, finish welding, paint it and reinstall.
Pictures in no particular order and from a million more angles then anyone cares to see :alumcj:

Plate is welded to the floor and tapped. It's 1/4" plate. The top plate is 3/16 and makes a nice mount and the cage is still easily removed :thumb:

Xander is not going to be able to see out the front too well this year, but I really don't want to bring his seat up any higher at this point...its not hard mounted yet, so we'll see if I chance my mind.

Before the mindsheild bars that Xjeeper told me I had to add...he was right, looks way better with the bars.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:20 pm 

Couple more, remember I said more angles and pics then you care to look at.

1, 2, 3
[ 66 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic