<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
Ranger Truggy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:59 pm 

This is how some buddies and I spent New Years.....

4 guys and 60+ hours in 4 days and heres where she sits now.

New Specs:

Triangulated 4- link rear (4ft long rear lowers haha)
3- link with panhard front
2in .25 wall DOM lowers with 1.25 johnny joints at one end and polys at the other
115in wheelbase (from 128.5 in)
Took 12 in out of the front of the box and 8in out of the rear.
Pushed front axle out another 1.5in
Fox Air shocks 14 in front and 16in rear (not on yet)
15 gal fuel cell
Ram assist

The fenders will be cut and going back on front and rear with all of the tubework in the front going behind the fenders.

The bed cage / fender skins arent done yet. The bed will look something like this only with fender skins put back on it.

It only has 4-5ft of stock frame left.

Cut 3in out of the rockers and rolled the sheet metal into the tubing. There will also be a tree pivot tube added to the rocker guard.

Still missing the cross on the roof along with a cross inside the cab.

Still a ton of work to do but its getting there.

Should be close to finished and have some more updated pics in a week or so.

Dont mind my buddies drawings in those last couple pics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:02 pm 

Nice ...........

Hows it flex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:42 pm 

You're friends like naked Grandmas' bewbers? Any lower and they would be knee caps with nipples

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:53 pm 

More Progress...

Thats all i got for now. Probably still a couple weekends left but its getting there...

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:16 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

looks good. :thumb: :thumb:

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:31 pm 

looks hella bitchin :beer:

HOGGIN AND BOGGIN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:54 pm 

More Progress...

Rear-

Front-

And from the side-

The rear needs to come down about 1.5in and the front is going up about an inch. I think i am going to pull the front axle back a hair too to make it more proportional. Thats where the axle would sit if it were on 40's.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:05 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Looks awesome man.

I hope I can start making some good money so I could try to build something like this.

Very cool buildup :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:36 am 
strangler is hoser's shrink

Looks really good!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:45 pm 

fuckin sweet!!! the rear design is awesome :thumb:

HOGGIN AND BOGGIN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:23 pm 

Getting there...

Back going together-

Tailgate-

Front-

Rear

Still got some stuff to do in order to get it on the trail. We still have to plumb the brakes and fuel system, hook back up all the electrical, put the interior back together ect but most of the big stuff is done.

Im still working on the ride heights. Without a nitrogen bottle handy, getting it set up is a pain in the @ss. I still think it needs to go up about 1-1.5 in the front and down about an inch in the rear.

I'm getting excited to get it back on the trail! :006:

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:29 pm 

So its finaly starting to come together. Still a few small things to do but its getting there.

Hopefully I will have some wheeling pictures next weekend.

I'm still trying to dial in the ride hieght. I think its to high now but i want to see how much it settles after i put some miles on it.

The whole git up...

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:55 am 

turned out awesome :beer: :beer:

HOGGIN AND BOGGIN

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:42 am 

I like it. :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:59 pm 

Things I learned from the weekend.

1) Limit Straps are your freind with air shocks. I will be adding one to the front and shortening the on the rear. The front unloaded pretty bad when climbing ledges, even caused my d-shaft to come apart once.

2) Sway bars are also your freind. I'm going to add one to the rear as soon as i can free up some cash. Side hills are definatly interesting.

3) Im going to lower the suspension 2-3 inches. More like the pic when its pulled down on the trailer. My first shot a ride height was a joke.

4) Still fighting the P.S. gremlins. Despite adding a saginaw pump to my 3.0L with a giant resivior it struggles to keep up with the ram and continues to over heat. I'm going to try one last pump with a pressure / volume mod i found on pirate before i give PSC a call and ask WTF?

Anyways enough *****ing.... heres the pics.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:18 pm 
strangler is hoser's shrink

Totally kick ass truck Chris. Lower it 5", then come play.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:24 am 

Quote:
Totally kick ass truck Chris. Lower it 5", then come play.

I'm going to this weekend. I'm shooting for what it looks like on the trailer in that last pic.

I guess 95geo was right... im going to have to buy a nitrogen bottle :slap:

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:58 am 

ShoNuff82 wrote:
Things I learned from the weekend.

1) Limit Straps are your freind with air shocks. I will be adding one to the front and shortening the on the rear. The front unloaded pretty bad when climbing ledges, even caused my d-shaft to come apart once.

2) Sway bars are also your freind. I'm going to add one to the rear as soon as i can free up some cash. Side hills are definatly interesting.

3) Im going to lower the suspension 2-3 inches. More like the pic when its pulled down on the trailer. My first shot a ride height was a joke.

it is very easy to fix the first 3 problems you have listed, they are all shock related...

fox 2.0's SUCK out of the box, I added 25 cc's before mine behaved "normally"

you need a limit strap(s) with air shocks, where they are at is usually dictated by where your driveshaft binds. a sway bar is preference, some dont need one, some feel the need for them on both ends. I would suggest one on the rear with the softest setting and a winch line to the front axle.

if you dont add oil to the shocks you will hate them for a long time to come. 5wt motorcycle shock oil is what they use, start with 10cc's then add more at 5cc incriments until you are happy with the ride, dont put too much in or they will hydrolock before full compression.

time to buy a nitro setup :flipoff:

on another note, a buddy at work saw your truck a few weeks ago.... he mentioned it in passing, I showed him this thread and he said "yep, thats the one!" small world.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:15 am 

I've got the 2.5's right now but I assume the thought proccess is the same.

The nitrogen set up is on the way... Any body have an idea of where to get the tank filled in the detroit / novi area?

Ive got a strap ont he back but its too long. I was planning on adding one to the front, i just didnt get around to it before last weekend. Its going to be really hard to package a winch for the front. Space is at a premium with were i want the ride height to end up.

When i first set it up i left it high thinking that it may settle a little but boy was i wrong. THe truck is probably almost 3-4 inches higher than i want it right now.

Overall i thought it was a pretty successfull first trip out. DIdnt break anything so i can focus on working the bugs out not fixing dumb shit.

Thanks for the tip geo. Im sure i will have more questions down the road. Its good to have someone that has been through it before to ask.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:21 am 

i thought they were 2.0's.... at any rate, we added 10 cc's to whiterhino's 2.5's before it even left the shop, I'd say we are pretty close with his. any more and the ride would become harsh and that is no good for him.

I always get the tank exchanged at any welding place but to have them fill your tank and return it would be a little more challenging.

try a paint ball store or start calling around to airgas and welding shops.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:45 am 

Our tank is from Wilson over in the Madison Heights area. I'm pretty sure they fill tanks, because I think the ultimate air Co2 tank gets filled there. It might take a day to do it, so plan ahead.

I'm not sure what if we own the tank or if it's rented. The guy that got the tank works at a shop that uses Wilson for all of their gas, so he arranged getting the tank and a group of us pitched in to get the regulator and fittings for the shocks.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:15 am 
Aiden's Bitch

according to fox the 2.5's come full of oil just make sure you dont over fill them and hydro lock them

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:02 am 

add a rear winch... it will help the stability 10 fold

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:54 am 

Hosejockey4506 wrote:
according to fox the 2.5's come full of oil just make sure you dont over fill them and hydro lock them

"full" is a relative term, we added to jims and I still felt them bottom a few times= not full enough to hydro lock

I agree with the second part.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:19 pm 

saw you on drummond..rig looks sweet. i agree lower it and you need some kind of swaybars..saw you trying to 3 wheel it in the parking lot. :thumb: it sure is clean looking, like how you did the tubes.

[ 25 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic