<- Home Page *Search  

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7 Reply to topic Post new topic
WhiteRhino's YJ RE-Build

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:48 am 

I'm sure Jim will come in and straighten things out where I'm mistaken or forgetting but this is where his build thread will be:

Currently he has a 1990 YJ that recently got a fuel injected 6.0L from an Escalade, a mildly built turbo 350 and some NPcrappy aluminum chain driven t-case that probably isn't going to keep its residence long after this is completed.

It sits on some sort of YJ lift springs SPOA with a blinged out dana 44 front and a 31 spline 9" rear. the axles are 61" wide (too narrow) and barely up to the task of the 350hp of the 6.0L. Overall width is 76", the belly is 24" and the wheelbase is 95" (im not positive on the numbers, i'll check when I get home and confirm)

In less than 7 weeks it will be getting
-3 linked in the front with a track bar
-4 linked in the rear
-103-104" wheelbase (shhhh, dont tell jim... he thinks it'll be 102"ish)
-koz aluminum stretched rear gas tank
-35 spline semi floating HI-9 rear with a spool, moser shafts, disks, shaved and 65" wide
-78 or 79 ford high pinion 60 narrowed, high steer, ram assist, detroited, 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern 1/2 ton ford/chevy disks
-I think he'll be running 4.88's
-12" travel 2.5" fox air shocks tied into the rear cage and I have no idea about the front.
-keeping the current wheel/tire combo of 37x14x15 bias Iroks on 15x9 steelies with weld-on beadlocks.
-make the truck so 40's can be swapped out if the time comes

The reason for this build is basically to get a better ride and improve some short comings that have shown up in the current setup while taking advantage of "starting over" and picking the right parts from the beginning.

Jim, feel free to post up some pics to remember/ compare the current setup by.

updates will start this weekend sometime :thumb:

Last edited by 95geo on Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:10 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

you're awesome! you got everything correct!!! Current spring over are Rubicon Express reverse eye springs built for SOA. Also has a MORE traction bar.
T-case a 231 that has been gussetted around the front output because I kept breaking the front case.

Would like to do a stack 3-speed if any of you feel willing to help donate to make my build the best it can be.

Yes, 4.88 gears. I still want to be able to run my 33" paddle tires without running out of rpm. Otherwise I would probably go 5.13

Pics to come later

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:54 am 

the jeep has been stripped of just about everything not needed, working on packaging the front right now.

my camera decided to quit working and Jim left his camera at my house but I dont have any way of getting the pics out of it.

on another note, the deadline may not be obtainable since the back 4 feet of the frame is rotted out and it needs to be redone.

at full stuff, how low have people been able to get them with a steering box? at ride height with 4" of compression the frame will be 24" but the lowest point (drivetrain mount/belly skid) will be about 22" on 37s

I could get it 2" lower if I didnt have any steering geometry to deal with.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:31 am 
Webwheelerousmaximus

are you guys puting the spring hangers in the frame to make it lower

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:48 am 

95geo wrote:
In less than 7 weeks it will be getting
-3 linked in the front with a track bar
-4 linked in the rear

-12" travel 2.5" fox air shocks

:thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:12 am 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

95geo wrote:
on another note, the deadline may not be obtainable since the back 4 feet of the frame is rotted out and it needs to be redone.

at full stuff, how low have people been able to get them with a steering box? at ride height with 4" of compression the frame will be 24" but the lowest point (drivetrain mount/belly skid) will be about 22" on 37s

I could get it 2" lower if I didnt have any steering geometry to deal with.

I am still planning on cutting my front frame rails just behind the grill, tilting them up, still level, maybe netting 2-3" higher steering box mounting. Still need to consider radiator placement...but don't listen to me, I still have hanging plants suspended from my winch.

As far as rear frame goes, I'm doing what JohnyJ did, tube for the rear section.

Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:21 am 
strangler is hoser's shrink

Not sure where my rig buildup pics of my YJ went, but with the front 3-link I was able to pull the coils out and let the frame down below 20" with 35's on it. I used the stock track bar mount on the frame because its inboard and an outboard mount would have really hindered my full stuff numbers. Even with the inboard mount, my axle only shifts .75" through its 12" cycle.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:30 am 

Found some pics, maybe it will give you an idea.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:13 am 

delete

Last edited by strangler on Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:09 pm 

i like the zip ties

HOGGIN AND BOGGIN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:46 pm 

when I can post pics you guys will see what i'm working with....

6.0L and all stock accessory locations, high pinion 60 center section, big aluminum radiator with a trans cooler mounted to the bottom.

dont worry, its low. its looking like the frame might have to be notched to clear the tie rod when mounted on top of the high steer arms. :popcorn:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:47 pm 

more updates, no pics... just laying things out.

I decided to make it sit lower. the bottom of the frame is 1" above the centerline of the axle at full stuff, is that low enough?

the top of the high steer arms are perfectly level with the bottom of the frame in the front :popcorn:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:09 am 

Sounds about as low as it can go. What are you using for springs/shocks in the front?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:41 am 

strangler wrote:
Sounds about as low as it can go. What are you using for springs/shocks in the front?

I should have specified better.... "i have no idea how I was going to mount them"

12" travel 2.5" fox's.... mounted to the high steer arms because there is no room to clear the frame when mounted to the tube/inner C

the inner edge of the inner c is 4" from the frame and the shock body is 2.5".. add .25" on the R for clearance and it will hit the frame when it flexes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:57 am 

I'll trade him for my 14" 2.0 Fox coilvers if .5" less dia will help. Then you can just mount them behind the axle tube instead of on it or on the C. Why are his axles so narrow? Is the inner ednge of the tire going to clear the coilover if mounted on the inner C? I know that works when the axles are wide, but with narrow track width the shock is going to stand much more vertical, and may be into the tire, no?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:40 am 

strangler wrote:
I'll trade him for my 14" 2.0 Fox coilvers if .5" less dia will help. Then you can just mount them behind the axle tube instead of on it or on the C. Why are his axles so narrow? Is the inner ednge of the tire going to clear the coilover if mounted on the inner C? I know that works when the axles are wide, but with narrow track width the shock is going to stand much more vertical, and may be into the tire, no?

a 2.0 coilover does no good as it is LARGER in diameter than a 2.5" air shock.

the axles are 65" wms-wms... kingpin outers take a lot of space on the tube compared to a dana 44 knuckle overall will be 80"

I would rather not weld the mounts onto the inner c, even if I did the clearance would still be questionable.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:28 pm 

Gotcha. Thought you meant coilovers, not as's

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:04 pm 

You wanna sell the fox's? Pm me if you do, I may be interested. Bryce, you got me thinking (AGAIN!) about staying full width to be sure it all fits. Are you making new inner fenders to help clear?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:40 pm 

its not in the plans, just a hole to clear the body

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:45 pm 

any progress this weekend?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:15 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Beats me........... I've been wiring my house.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:58 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

whats a rubicon express build

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:59 am 

HoSeJoCkEy4506 wrote:
whats a rubicon express build

its where you call and place a big order for a bunch of parts that bolt right on.

the steering box has found its home.... its about 1/8" from the radiator, 3/4" from the accessory drive and the nut on the tie rod end clears the frame by about 1/8".

still no pictures, nothing looks very impressive with tape, string and random chunks of tube holding a bunch of stuff in place.

and for the record, I am not impressed with the quality of the parts mike high steer arms and diff cover. the diff cover does not fit because the inside hits the bearing cap... it would need 1/8" of clearance at least... and on the high steer arms only the passenger arm has the large chamfer for the conical nuts, the drivers side just has a small .030" break on the corner..... on top of that they were cancelled but he shipped them anyway. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:52 am 

need a spacer for the diff cover? I may already have one cut.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:21 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

TAB wrote:
need a spacer for the diff cover? I may already have one cut.

How thick?
Quality of workmanship? :poke:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7
[ 170 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic