<- Home Page *Search  

1, 2, 3 Reply to topic Post new topic
Wanna-be K30 Suburban tow-rig project.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:34 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

I bought the former Chevotamobile. Runs and drives pretty well after Jason went through it. Drove it to Jackson and back the day after receiving it for a shakedown and to run out all the old gas (and a healthy dose of Lucas). Immediate needs are pretty much just a couple headlights. One low filament is out and the opposite high filament is out, but both of the hi-beam headlights work. Its either 1 headlight or 3. People don't seem to like 3.

It has also already began serving in its intended capacity. A complete 78 HPD60 fits in the cargo hold with the seats up and room to spare. :thumb: We don't need no stinking utility trailers! :woot:

Last edited by PavementPounder on Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:46 pm 

you talking about the old Suburban Nick had for a while?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:11 pm 
Loves The Taco

Nope, its his old girl friend. She can fit a D60 in her "cargo" hold with room to spare. Nick is hung like a 3 year old. 36 inches and 30 lbs.

Two bee ore knot tubey. That is the question.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:32 pm 

Are you the leader of his fan club? Do you have some sort of Nick fan site on AOL?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:25 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

JohnnyJ wrote:
Are you the leader of his fan club? Do you have some sort of Nick fan site on AOL?

Yes, I'm an avid collector of memorabilia.

Pics added to the first post. Bought new headlights tonight after driving to the AutoZone in Hartland :rocket:, the Murray's in Brighton :rocket:, and then all the way back to Meijer in White Lake. Stupid Murrays winter hours. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:25 am 
Super Picky, Never Sticky

damn it if i would have known you were going to jackson i would have had you grab something for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:30 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

sCoTtIe wrote:
damn it if i would have known you were going to jackson i would have had you grab something for me.

I don't haul fat Jackson bitches.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:20 am 

PavementPounder wrote:
sCoTtIe wrote:

:P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:35 pm 
Super Picky, Never Sticky

PavementPounder wrote:
sCoTtIe wrote:

wtf other reason is there to go to jackson?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:56 pm 

Wow when I saw the burbin I just had to call Sam (He is the guy that bought the truck in New Mexico) A little history lesson: He was towing the CJ5 out to Farmington NM, in an old wagie. Somewhere in las cruse the wagie blew up. He got the Burbin on trade and some $$. It made it's way back east to KY where it lived for a few years, and making trips all over the south towing the CJ5. It came to MI when Sam came up to build a buggy. But on the way it lost oil pressure. (Blew up) One day Nick was over drinking Beer and told me he wanted to go to NM and get an old Burbin. He was going to sell his Ford and go to NM. The idea came to me in a flash. He should trade Sam. And so it was. Just a little history. :thumb:

www.nc4x4.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:55 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

thanks for the history professor james

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:09 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Got the tires balanced yesterday on my way into work (Leslie Tire, Waterford) and it made a nice difference. Still not going to be smooth until I get some radials on it, but its really not that bad right now. Needs some shocks, too. It gets the pogo-stick thing going on when you hit some big railroad tracks. :woot: I found two sets of tires that have good tread, but they are both 35's. What I can't decide is whether to stick with the look of the 14.5" wide rubber, or slim it down. I kind of like the look, but they suck you into every contour of the pavement and I think I'm going to want 12.5's going into winter.

Been driving it every day and its been doing well. Starts up immediately every time. Think it wants a new EGR valve, though. Have to drive really fast in order to keep it from downshifting into 4th on the highway, so I'm looking forward to the 60/14 swap with 4.10's. I'm considering trying some bolt-on performance upgrades to get a little more power out of it (and stay in 4th on the highway more easily) so I don't have to rush the axle swap. I think I'm going to go grap that SRW gov-lok 14b that SilverXJ is trying to unload and save the open one I have for something else.

So what can I do inexpensively to a TBI motor besides headers? Do they make aftermarket intakes specifically for these motors, or does the TBI not make a difference and a carb intake will work?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:46 pm 

PP,

There is some shit you can do to a TBI motor:

Edelbrock and (I think) Holley both make aluminum intakes
Larger throttle body
Computer-friendly cam (Crane, Comp Cams, or Edelbrock)
Aluminum heads, ir you want to bust open the motor
Free-flow exhaust along with the headers
Performance chip

There's probably more too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:21 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

I don't want to start opening it up when its doing fine as is, but the intake, chip, and headers are things I'll look into. Its also missing the fresh air intake tube to the breather, which would help a little.

I went and picked up that gov-lok 14b from SilverXJ tonight, so I'm going to get rolling on getting that swapped in and save the open rear for something else.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:15 am 

Thanks for the update rosie :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:41 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

UP_ROKTOY wrote:
Thanks for the update rosie :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:17 am 

PavementPounder wrote:
We don't need no stinking utility trailers! :woot:

So I ask, why were you towing a trailer down owen road? :flipoff:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:39 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Because I can't carry a 14b, a Ram D70,AND a 1050 in the back of the Suburban. :flipoff: Usually don't have to carry this much big shit at once.

I was also going for trailer parts at the RV store over buy Hall Dodhe/Chrysler/Jeep in exchange for borrowing the trailer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:46 pm 

JohnnyJ wrote:

dont we all? have a fan site for chevota?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:53 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Ouch. That sill at the bottom of the cargo doors is like $260. Its contributing to the rust on the inside bottom edge of the passenger cargo door. Anybody got a sheetmetal hookup?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:21 pm 

TBI engine is limited by the heads. Dont bother chipping it. Think about it, wtf will that do add more fuel???

Bump the timing a degree or two, other than that tires and gears are hurting your driveability. Heads, cam, intake, carb if you want to try and make it fly. Leave it like it is and it will chug along forever.

I love that engine for its simplicity, but its no powerhouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:12 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

The front D60 turned out to have 4.56's, so the rear will be made to match. Already have the gears, so I'm looking for a Gov-lok carrier. This will be easier on the 350 until I get to the engine swap next year, too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:20 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Got the 14b swapped in on Saturday at UORC. Still have some brake issues to deal with, but everything has had a bolt-on solution so far. It had a SF 14b in it already, so the hydraulic brake lines from the SF fit right onto the FF. Had to replace one leaky wheel cylinder, so I just bought two and will do the other side also. Still need to pick up the right K30 parking brake cables and it'll be a done deal.

I had a parts run to make today, so I headed to the west side in the snow with no rear brakes (forgot to adjust them), bald-ass temporary rear tires, no 4wd due to mismatching ratios, and I was towing a trailer. Perfect conditions for a shakedown/break-in. :thumb: The rpm levels sounded good on the highway, the truck held 4th gear locked up with cargo + the trailer, and I seemed to have my foot into it less than when just driving around with 3.73's.

Brought back some parts UORC bought from the west side, delivered a long-awaited axle housing to JCR to replace Monkeyevil's cracked one, made two stops to hand off other shit going to people from the eastside, and picked up my front D60, 454, 4L80e, as well as some gears and other goodies.

Last edited by PavementPounder on Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:58 pm 

so you had an offroad shop do a almost direct axle swap for you? dont forget an oil change too :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:24 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Trailrig wrote:
so you had an offroad shop do a almost direct axle swap for you? dont forget an oil change too :thumb:

Yeah, for free. I bet you wish your poor ass could figure out how to pull that off.

Once again, you have proven that you are an ignorant douchebag, douchebag. Good job! :thumb:

1, 2, 3
[ 75 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic