<- Home Page *Search  

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7 Reply to topic Post new topic
Run of the mill buildup

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:22 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Starting off with a 2000 Jeep TJ with the 4.0L I-6 and a 5 spd manual trans. Its spent its first 3 years as a bolt on Jeep with a gay tan soft top. About 3 years ago I put a D44HP in the front and a D60 rear and changed the suspension a bit. Everything has always just been thrown together without much consideration to how things look. If it worked, it stayed. I was given the front and rear axles for free (good price) and didn’t really spend much on the suspension (free coils, leaves, shackles, radius arms etc…). It ended up working surprisingly well, so good that I never really went back and fixed the things I hacked together, they held up! I’ve added things to it here and there like a small exo cage on the front, OBA, etc.. but always done in my driveway when it wasn’t raining or snowing.

I finally finished putting in the last bit of insulation in the walls of my new garage and finished building two work benches. I built a few shelves and got to see the floor of the garage for the first time in a long time. I started to run power, but when I figure out where I want the outlets, I’ll wire them up as I need them. For now I’ve got some power and an open floor.

My plans are mainly to finish what I started, but with a few upgrades along the way. I’m starting with the rear suspension and axle, and working my way to the front. My goal has switched from a 2 seat Jeep to a 4 seat multipurpose vehicle.

Lower it down a few inches while still running the current 36’s
Making room for more passengers, 4 ideally
Lowering the gearing via doubler (231+D300)
Make the suspension work better with more up travel
High steer arms and new box
Lighten it up where I can
Frame modifications
Stretch another couple inches
5 Link the rear suspension
New Radius arms in the front
Rear disc brakes

I’m building it to go trailriding with my wife and kids, but have the ability to hit the harder stuff without problems if I desire. After this build I’m planning on building a 1-2 seat tube buggy thing to use as a toy on all the hard stuff without the family.

Not hard-core, but it’s a buildup.

Here are the pics before I start work:

Lucas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:35 pm 
Super Picky, Never Sticky

what are you plans for the sweet ass ZUK next to it

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:52 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

take what i can use off it drivetrain wise for my next project, if it doesn't rust in half first!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:33 pm 
Super Picky, Never Sticky

they don't rust into 2 pieces, just a bunch of tiny ones.

and the jeep does look good :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:56 am 

I hope you get better luck with the engine than I got with the bender. Second bend and the air/hydro cylinder blew apart at the base.

I'm gonna take it back to local HF and see if they will exchange it without hassle.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:25 am 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

That blows (I know). I think Pat is still using his without issue, that goes to show how spotty the HF quality is. Only good thing is they usually exchange without question. If you have a problem, I didn't buy mine yet. I can buy it with the extended warranty BS and give you that one, take yours back and get another working one.

Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:17 pm 

I walked in today, dropped it on the counter, asked the girl if they were still in the same place, then walked back and got a new one. Signed a return receipt, and walked out, whole again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:55 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Ha! Cool. Glad that worked out, now just hope that one lasts for at least 3 bends!

Well, I backed the Jeep in and started taking junk off it. Ditched the rear bumber, spare carrier, gas tank, air tank, CB ant., brake lights, etc...

Now the hard part starts...

Lucas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:16 am 

Lucas, your jeep has always been a cool functional jeep that worked. I can't wait to see the results of the next "build". :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:45 am 

UP_ROKTOY wrote:
Lucas, your jEeP has always been a cool functional jEeP that worked. I can't wait to see the results of the next "build". :thumb:

X2 :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:42 am 

UP_ROKTOY wrote:
Lucas, your jEeP has always been a cool functional jEeP that worked. I can't wait to see the results of the next "build". :thumb:

up_cocktoy couldn't have said it any better.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:58 am 
Webwheelerousmaximus

so is the back of the leaf spring supposed to be bent like that?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:10 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

UP_ROKTOY wrote:

Yeah, he's pissed me off more than once. :slap:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:42 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Motorcitydak wrote:
so is the back of the leaf spring supposed to be bent like that?

Yeah, the stock YJ leaves ride nice, flex great, but when you slide backwards down Guardrail in Tellico (only negative of a flat underside is it sometimes acts like a sled) and land on a rock, they bend. I was planning on doing leaves again in the back but after smashing the living crap out of them on the rocks, I've decided against that. I had one bend very badly on the rockgarden, surprisingly it rebound with only a very slight arc.

Mainly it has to do with how stupid low the rear shackles are mounted. I'm going the route of JohnnyJ on the back of his, I like that setup, gets the crap up and out of harms way.

And thanks for the kind words.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:59 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Going the way of Johnny isn't going to keep you from backing into things.

In the last 5 months John's managed to smash a tailgate and windshield while backing up. :woot:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:45 pm 

WhiteRhino wrote:
Going the way of Johnny isn't going to keep you from backing into things.

In the last 5 months John's managed to smash a tailgate and windshield while backing up. :woot:

:flipoff: old man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:52 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

hahaha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:44 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

He might need a bigger rear view mirror....?

Don't worry I'll have the spare tire back there to hit people and things with...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:12 pm 

lgottler wrote:
He might need a bigger rear view mirror....?

Don't worry I'll have the spare tire back there to hit people and things with...

A spare.........who needs a stinking spare! :popcorn: :popcorn:
j-kb8ymf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:40 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

kb8ymf wrote:
lgottler wrote:

A spare.........who needs a stinking spare! :popcorn: :popcorn:
j-kb8ymf

Just be glad I got rid of my homemade air tank! :thumb: Went in the trash this morning...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:59 pm 

lgottler wrote:
kb8ymf wrote:
lgottler wrote:
Just be glad I got rid of my homemade air tank! :thumb: Went in the trash this morning...

Great! CO2 tanks are pretty handy and come in a pretty small package. Are you going to put the front radius rods on a diet?
j

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:19 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

kb8ymf wrote:
lgottler wrote:
kb8ymf wrote:
lgottler wrote:

Great! CO2 tanks are pretty handy and come in a pretty small package. Are you going to put the front radius rods on a diet?
j

I'm keeping my OBA, just using a different tank is all. The radius arms are going to be given away to a buddies project. I'm still undecided on the front. I probably won't change housings, but I might do one of two things. Either just make new arms out of 2" tubing and tuck them up higher, or make the mount around the radius arm and do a 5 link from there. Probably end up radius arm again, but the gears are turning...

The front is complicated and my head hurts thinking about it all.... I'm cutting the front frame rails where they start to bend and moving them up. This should bump up all the crap in the front end a bit, need to trim my grill a tad and a few other things. We'll see what actually happens there, my goal is to get more uptravel in the front, and right now my pitman arm is smack dab in the middle of everything.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:41 pm 

Yep, know what you talking about. You need to balance three things for cross vehicle positioning. Assuming you doing high steer with convnetional steering and a track bar. First one is a given, The tie rod really has to go where it has to go, from side to side, period. Next you need to juggle the drag link or steering link and the pitman arm off the box. With the ability to use different drops you can play with your choices. Plus you can either do a front pitman arm or a rear pitman arm. Mine is a front which is rare but it keeps you from putting stuff out in front to get knocked off and brings up your approach angle a bunch because you don't have to clear the steering gear. Using those choices you can start to see just where things have to go. The track bar can usually be nested in but should be parrallel with the drag link and as horizontal as possible.
I think I mounted my steering gear three times and was the single biggest part of my project from a 'don't screw it up or your'll regret it' standpoint.
Don't compromise, where you place things here will affect how well the vehicle handles and behaves.
jim-kb8ymf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:53 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Yeah, the steering is something to work on. I've got another set of knuckles I have to machine, need new ball joints, I'm going to do the draglink to the pass high steer arm and the tie rods will most likely remain in the stock location, possibly over top thou.

I had planned on hydro assist, but honestly, I don't think I need it. If anything it keeps me from breaking things! I haven't been in a situation where it would have benefited me, sure I couldn't turn, but that boulder stuck inside my rim was the reason! My box leaks, so I was going to find a larger bored replacement for it at least. I moved the axle only 1" forward originally, so that made things move around just enough to be a problem. I think if I can bump up the box higher and tilt it a wee bit to keep the pitman from connecting the tie rod, I'll be all set. I hope.

Well, this weekend marked the end for the leaf spring setup. I torched it off (damn michigan winters) and ground the tubes clean. Next will be addressing the frame and the axle itself as far as brakes and truss' are concerned. I think I lost at least 70 pounds with just the rear bumper! The antiwrap bar came in a close second at 50 pounds...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:18 am 

lgottler wrote:
I had planned on hydro assist, but honestly, I don't think I need it.

Once you have it you won't go back. Same things the guys with full hydro say. I'm just not ready to give up on the solid attachment from my hands to the tires.

Quote:
My box leaks, so I was going to find a larger bored replacement for it at least. I moved the axle only 1" forward originally, so that made things move around just enough to be a problem. I think if I can bump up the box higher and tilt it a wee bit to keep the pitman from connecting the tie rod, I'll be all set. I hope.

Have fun, I put mine in three times before I got it right.
Is your box an inside forward facing arm or inside rearward facing arm?
jim-kb8ymf

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7
[ 159 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic