<- Home Page *Search  

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Reply to topic Post new topic
chassis progress:99.9% poser shots 8/10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:07 pm 

my only thought is how much can you make me one for (seriously). Ever think of making a few extra to sell?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:34 pm 

Bones wrote:
my only thought is how much can you make me one for (seriously). Ever think of making a few extra to sell?

Honestly, I have been considering putting it on ebay. I have been building jeep bumpers and selling on ebay to get the money around for this project and frankly, they are a lot more work than the chassis has been. If I can still get the same price on tubing that I did for my chassis, I could probably build you one for around $2000.

Later,
Jason

"Vehicles illegally parked here will be cheerfully disassembled and used for parts"

1985 CJ-7, 460,C6,BW1356,NP205, R/C Front D60, Standard Rear, 37" Irocks, 4 link front and rear, locked front and rear.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:15 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

i dont see any reason why you couldnt use different size shocks front to rear

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:33 pm 

jacampb2 wrote:
Awesome info, I am going to go screw around with it. Thanks!

Later,
Jason

You'll go blind.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:51 pm 

I've got SAW air shocks in the rear of my TJ. They have a little larger shaft than the Fox 2.0's and will supposedly support more weight. Not sure if they could handle BB Ford weight, but they seem to be holding up the rear of my full bodied TJ fine.

A friend is running Fox 2.0s on his tubed CJ and is running more pressure to get similar ride height (about 4" or so of extension at ride height) and I'm sure my jeep is quite a bit heavier than his.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:51 pm 

A bit more progress today. Tell me what you think about the added bars in the engine compartment. I am going to tie them into the engine compartment halo and also into the main base of the chassis if I keep them. I needed to stiffen up the front end alot and I added these. I am not sure I like the look, but they are not going to cause engine fitment problems and they were the best solution I could come up with. If you have a better idea, let me know and I will cut them out and change them. Here are the pics...

Later,
Jason

"Vehicles illegally parked here will be cheerfully disassembled and used for parts"

1985 CJ-7, 460,C6,BW1356,NP205, R/C Front D60, Standard Rear, 37" Irocks, 4 link front and rear, locked front and rear.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:18 pm 

I know most of you are just looking at the pretty pictures, but I am trying to decide what to do in the engine compartment in the next few days (details in post aboveand circled in current picture) please give me some input on tubes I placed in for triangualtion and if I should leave them or if there is a better way to stiffen the front of the chassis.

later,
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:26 pm 

Nice
I love bending tube, :thumb: and seeing it .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:56 pm 

more progress, triangulated the shock mounting points in the rear and the back of the cage. Should have more tomorrow, saturday I am pulling the CJ7 apart to get the DT and axles ready to go in the buggy. Here are the pics.

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:00 pm 

looking good

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:33 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

i think that bar thats gonna be next to your head is a bad idea

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:26 am 

a couple of other people told me that as well, but I am pretty sur ethe seats are going to be forward of that point, on an angle close to matching it. I am not going to weld those guys in until after seats are in place so I can be sur ethough.

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:52 pm 

Finished all of the welds today and got it up on stands. The stands are bolted to the floor, so dont even tell me it's going to fall over :D The only welds I havent fully welded, are the door bars, the proposed head knockers, and the firewall xmember. Here are some pics.

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:12 pm 

Psst... its gonna fall over :flipoff:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:13 pm 

I got a little bit more done over the last few days. The CJ is all parted out and sold, I brought the DT home and got the motor mounts all built and the motor in. I bolted in the trans today, still have to build some sort of removable x-member for its mounts. I am thinking of useing the poly bushings like I did for the motor mounts. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Pics...

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:42 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

r u sure its not bigger that you cj it looks huge

motor looks bling

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:33 pm 

Wait until I get the accesories back on the motor, then it will look big again. The power steering pump almost touches the drivers side frame rail... I agree the motor looks small in there, not sure why as I had to turn it 45* or so just to get it through the hood opening. Part of the reason is there is no sheet metal divideing space up I think. With fenders and grill and stuff it makes the engine compartment look smaller than it is. And honest, I measured about a hundered times, the front end on the buggy is actually a bit shorter than the CJ was, Aside from it being about 4 inches wider outside to outside frame rail, it is very close dimensionaly. I will have to try and get a ladder down tomorrow and take a pic of the drive train from a higher angle. I think it is all a matter of perspective, and probably the bling paint too throwing the milenium flux capacitor in the camera off...

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:29 pm 

steering may be tight that wide?

Chassis, Cages, etc....

"Wow! That's really close. If he would have lost by one, i would have punched Brimy right square in the ovary."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:15 pm 

I dont really think the 36" wide part of the frame is going to be a bg deal, but where I want to put the axle is going to put the tires very close to the bend where the frame rail drops and widens. I do not really want to move it any further forward than where I have planned, so I may be cutting parts out and remodeling. It will be a bit before I get there though, I am trying to get some used fox shox off pirate, some pretty good deals on used ones if I can find the right stuff for my applicaiton.

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:15 pm 

More progress today. I got the axles inside the shop and the links, coils and shocks removed. I have them basically sitting where they are going to go. I thouhgt I was going to have a 115" wheel base this time, but it looks like it is going to be 120"s again... Not a really big deal as I am going to have a completely flat belly pan. The bottom of the tranny pan will almost touch the skid plate from frame rail to rail. I am going to clock the 205 this time around to get it above the skid plate as well. Anyhow, accessories are all back on the motor. Tranny is mounted and axles are about where they are going to be. Here are the pics...

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:34 am 
It Looks Russian

It looks realy hard to get in/out of :eek:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:54 am 
strangler is hoser's shrink

Looks like its time to build a tierod :alumcj:

Looks good, get bigger tires.... 37's and 120" :eek:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:57 am 

strangler wrote:
Looks like its time to build a tierod :alumcj:

Looks good, get bigger tires.... 37's and 120" :eek:

Both are in the works.

I am trying to get rid of my 5 37" irock radials so I can afford some 42s. Tires have probably 20 trail miles on them if you know anyone interested, pass the word for me!

As for a tire rod, I am going hydro steering and I may make two short tie rods for use w/ a double ended ram, and mill up a second high steer arm so I can run it behind the axle(maybe)

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:15 am 

XJeeper wrote:
It looks realy hard to get in/out of :eek:

what he said.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:11 pm 

Well, I have made a little bit more progress. I sold the tires and wheels and will have 42's comming soon. I have the cross member in for the lower links on the front and I mounting point setup for the upper links as well. Front is going to be 4 link w/ panhard to help clear the motor and stuff... My airshocks are here and hopefully I will will get the front suspension squared away tomorrow. I have a few question with the pics bellow though if anyone can answer them.

This 4 link bracket had to go here on the cast pad on the diff. Do you think it is going to hold. The pumpkin should be cast steel so I think it will be okay, but I am a little concerned about it. I plan to gusset to the pumkin and down to the axle tube on the other side.

Do my shocks need to be at more of an angle, or does this look okay?

Later,
Jason

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
[ 167 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic