<- Home Page *Search  

1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Reply to topic Post new topic
chassis progress:99.9% poser shots 8/10

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:14 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

i know nothing about forming metal but i like just haveing a little gauge pod there is no reason for much more

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:37 pm 
strangler is hoser's shrink

camaro13z28 wrote:
Nobody has any input on a dash, huh? Anyhow,

This is Misfit. Take the lack of response as a compliment and keep going!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:45 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

HoSeJoCkEy4506 wrote:
i know nothing about forming metal but i like just haveing a little gauge pod there is no reason for much more

because your to damn lazy to use any punctuation, i had to read that garbage 4 times over again to understand wtf you said.

Anyhow, would there be room to mount them in the big upside-down triangle shaped piece in the center? I think that would be pretty bad ass. Make it more of a center console/trans hump.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:12 pm 

Okay, back skins are done, tool box is all boxed in and I think it looks pretty sweet. Surpriseingly enough, the toolbox still opens...

As for gauge and switch mounting, I could put them in that triangle and the switches down on the tunnle, but that triangle is open on the back to the engine compartment. I will not have a hood for some time, and I am afraid that the moisture would kill them quickly. I am going to pull the pannel though and see if there is room to tig up a box in the engine compartment to enclose the back of the gauges, if I have the room, i think that is where they will go, otherwise it is down on the tunnel. Anyhow, here are the pics of the back end finished. I am out of aluminum and am thinking of making a front grill out of mild steel, any thoughts? I do nto really want to buy another sheet of aluminum for one small piece, and if I paint the mild steel the same color as the tubes, it should look fairly trick. Anyhow, here are todays pics, I am done on it for a bit, I have to get back to building bumpers to pay for things...

Later,
Jason

"Vehicles illegally parked here will be cheerfully disassembled and used for parts"

1985 CJ-7, 460,C6,BW1356,NP205, R/C Front D60, Standard Rear, 37" Irocks, 4 link front and rear, locked front and rear.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:19 pm 
Webwheelerousmaximus

jason it looking real nice keep up the good work

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:35 am 

Well, I got the gauge pod and all of the switch wiring in place. I still need to build a front grill, tie the front shock mounts together, put a tube in behind the seats to keep them from reclineing and give me a place to mount my harness', run fuel and brake lines and then it is ready for paint. I stripped all the pannels off yesterday in preperation for paint. I hope to at least have it primed by the end of today.

Here are the pics of the guage thing, the tig welds aren't great, but I am useing seriously old equiptment with no current control at the moment...

later,
jason

"Vehicles illegally parked here will be cheerfully disassembled and used for parts"

1985 CJ-7, 460,C6,BW1356,NP205, R/C Front D60, Standard Rear, 37" Irocks, 4 link front and rear, locked front and rear.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:18 pm 

Lights, switches, buttons, just add twin stick, trans shifter, cutting break You just get confused

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:59 pm 

Well, I remodeled 1/2 the freaking chassis to fit drive shafts. I have never had so much trouble building driveshafts in my life. They are all done now though, 2.5" squar .25 wall tube, except for the short jack shaft off the front of the case, that is 1.75" .25 wall DOM. Anyhow, they are all done and do not bind full droop to stuff, so after 5 days straight of cutting out parts of the chassis and redoing it to accomodate shafts, I am in buisness... I am about to weld 5 point tabs in and then skid plate tabs, and then it is ready to be sanded and primed! Hopefully i will have paint done and pics up by the end of the weekend.

Here are the DS pics...

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:46 pm 

ok, ill bite.

Why not use regular driveshaft slips...you spilled the coin for an atlas, so whats 50 more bucks?....not that the square won't hold up (id bet dollars to donuts it will)...but a round tube chassis needs round tube driveshafts!

Chassis, Cages, etc....

"Wow! That's really close. If he would have lost by one, i would have punched Brimy right square in the ovary."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:07 am 

I would have much rather made them out of .25 wall round tube, but I was making these from shafts and yokes I had around and didn't know for sure what was going to work, and most of my yokes are for all different size tube, so I needed to be sure that I had all my ducks in a row before I bought tube to do it. I still have enough parts to make another pair of shafts, and I probably will with round tube now that I know what it will take. I want to get this thing done though, and square will work fine for what I am going to do to it this season. I figure that the square shafts will be okay since this is trail only and wont be seeing any hoigh speed stuff. Besides I got them pretty well dead on with nearly no runout. I used actual splined slips instead of the telescopeing tube like a lot of people run, so their shouldn't be any slop like a typical square shaft. Also, I am going to have to order 21' of tube when I buy it and 3 inch .25 wall is probably more like $400 for a stick...

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:03 am 
Aiden's Bitch

camaro13z28 wrote:
I figure that the square shafts will be okay since this is trail only and wont be seeing any hoigh speed stuff.

Later,
Jason

haha youve never tried to wheel with utah and the gang i think most trails i run with themn im in high range in 2nd and 3rd gear

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:16 pm 

james thought of this one

got an old axle? cut off the tubes...model 20's are free! free drive shaft tube

Chassis, Cages, etc....

"Wow! That's really close. If he would have lost by one, i would have punched Brimy right square in the ovary."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:09 pm 

1/4" thick driveshaft tubes seem a little excessive to me. 3/16' would be pretty damn bulletproof.

We-Rock/XRRA #199

Badlands Offroad, Maxxis, Superior Axle, Solid Axle Ind, Spidertrax, PSC, Branik Machine, QA1, High Angle Driveline, Warn, Sway-a-way, Cottman Transmission, PRP Seats, Summit Racing, CTM Racing, Allied Wheel, and McKinney corp.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:26 am 

dont use use a round driveshaft, use a tractor PTO shaft. some are triangular to match the gauge pod :slap:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:56 pm 

color is down. That took a lot more time than expected! Sanded all the rust off, coat of etching primer, 2 coates of urethane primer, and about 2 coats of metalic blue. PIA when it all chips off I am rattle canning it black! here are the pics... Panels will go back on tomorrow and hopefully I will fire it up for the first time!

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:28 pm 

:woot:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:34 pm 

:woot: :woot: looks sweet as hell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:03 pm 

paint the chassis black

and the panels blue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:27 pm 

There is not the slimest chance in hell that I am repainting the SOB until the blue is so hashed I cannot stand it. I have enough money in paint and guns now that I could have taken it to earl shribe or maco and had it sprayed for less...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:55 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:23 pm 
strangler is hoser's shrink

the fumes killed your dog.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:40 pm 

I wondered why she started to smell...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:18 pm 
Premature HiJack-ulator

strangler wrote:
the fumes killed your dog.

:rofl:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:25 pm 

Well, the buggy is 99% done. Skins are back on, it is all wired and just needs the brakes connected at the axles and radiator and steering plumed up (I have all the parts, just have to get er done).

My dad died unexpectedly last thursday at the young age of 59, and the last thing he asked me was did I get that buggy running yet. We burried him today, and after the funeral two of my best friends, Andrew and Luke came over to put it back together and fire it up. Here's to you dad, I am sure you heard it up in heaven, the damn 460 is loud with no exhaust!

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:02 pm 

Sorry to hear about your dad, get er done man.

1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
[ 167 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic