<- Home Page *Search  

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7 Reply to topic Post new topic
chassis progress:99.9% poser shots 8/10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:12 pm 

Well, I started bending tube for my tube chassis today. I made some changes to the design based on input from you all a few weeks ago, and the back half is still going to get a total redesign that I haven't even started yet, but here is somewhat what it should look like when done.

We got the main part of the chassis' frame bent before dinner...

...And no, the front is not crooked, that is just the angle of the picture... Then when we got back from dinner, we got the main firewall hoop done and one of the door bars in.

I hope to have the chassis itself completed within one month, and the complete project ready to wheel by spring. I will update as often as possible with my progress and when I get the back half redeigned I will post a new pic of the model.

Later,
Jason

"Vehicles illegally parked here will be cheerfully disassembled and used for parts"

1985 CJ-7, 460,C6,BW1356,NP205, R/C Front D60, Standard Rear, 37" Irocks, 4 link front and rear, locked front and rear.

Last edited by camaro13z28 on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 19 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:03 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

looks nice keep us posted

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:15 pm 
strangler is hoser's shrink

Cool Jason, please make this a build thread. Our readers need a new project to inspire,corrupt and flame. :thumb: :beer:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:10 am 
Dirty DaVe

looking good! Post some specs so everyone knows what the project will be in the end :thumb:

dave has the right idea.
roger that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:53 am 

Okay, I tackled the re-design of the rear half of the buggy and this is what I came up with.

Let me know what you think, it was recomended to me on pirate that I change the back to be similar to the fronts design, leaving a lot more room for storage and better clearance for the suspension and axle. I do like the current ideas I have put in place. I have a lot more triangulation throuout the chassis now and not really that much more tube. Alot of this stuff I have just pulled out of my ass and may not work in the final configuration, but most of the parts that may change are straight parts and are easily changed for something else if I decide to massage things again. I also extended the front of the buggy 8 inches for a place to mount my winch in the current design, but I may not have to add it, once I have the drive train it I may have room for the winch behind the grill wich is what I was really after.

As for specs, I am parting out my CJ-7 to build this. My current plans are to stick with my Fuel Injected 460, C6 trans, BW1356/205 doubler. I may try to scrounge up enough money for an atlas or I may try running a Ferd fiwed yoke 208 I have to try to shorten up my DT. We will see. Current plans are for FOX 2.5 Airshox upfront and either 2.5s or 2s in the rear. I will run the D60's I have right now wich is 4.1 gearing, detroit front, welded rear. I will have to run my 37 irocks for a bit because I just bought thema season ago and my wife would have a stroke if I upgraded again right now, but at least 42's are in the near future. I am really just aiming for a fun capable trail type buggy. I will probably skin it in polycarbonate and I am considering running no hood or grill, just skinning the cab. I cant really think of anything else right now, but I am sure more will come to me. I will hopefully get a ways further tomorrow, but all my help is celebrating chrismas and whatnot, so I may not get much tube bent. The big pieces of tube are a pain in the nut sack to load in that bender with no help...

Later,
Jason

"Vehicles illegally parked here will be cheerfully disassembled and used for parts"

1985 CJ-7, 460,C6,BW1356,NP205, R/C Front D60, Standard Rear, 37" Irocks, 4 link front and rear, locked front and rear.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:07 am 

Where are you bending, Beaverton?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:27 am 

Looks good :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:42 am 

elfoozo wrote:
Where are you bending, Beaverton?

Nope, Midland, I built a shop here a year and a half ago, so I dont need to work at my buddys place.

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:09 pm 

I might be available to lend a 2nd pair of hands...

Where abouts in Midland? If it's not too far I might make the drive from Saginaw.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:45 pm 

I am on Haley street, about a mile from where buissiness 10 ends in the oneway patrick. Address is 810 Haley Street, 48640 and Yahoo maps would put you right on my door step if you want to come. Cell 989-859-8842, call if you get hung up. I am going to be quiting by 5:30 or so tonight though due to the fact that I work midnight 12 hour shifts at our lovely chemical plant here and will be working for the next three days there. If you do not have time this weekend, and want to come tinker around, I am happy to have help whenever so give me a shout and we will figure out a time to get together.

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:11 pm 

Went by your place kinda late. Nextel said it was 4:34. Nobody home but the dog. Dow makes you work on Christmas day? That's sick.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:59 am 

I am an asshat. I am sorry. I worked till 3:36 when I got a call out in the shop saying "aren't you comming to work?" Needless to say some dipshit scheduled me for 4 hrs early tonight and neglected to let me know. I basically jumped in my truck and drove straight here. I tried to get online with my palm earlier as I do not have internet here and the piece of junk would not connect. I just now got through, I hope you will stop by again sometime though. I will actually try to be there :) I normally dont work this overtime crap but they pulled a suprise one on me and I cant complain to much since it is like triple time and a half for those first 4 hours. Been slow as fuck all here though, I was right in the middle of making the top "halo" of the cage and had one of the notches done and had to just bail.

Anyhow, I am sorry, I am actually home pretty much always when I am not working, and if I dont answer my cell, it is a pretty good indication I am at work or sleeping. Thanks for trying, I will get beer and pizza though if you want to come by again!

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:02 am 

No biggie. I needed a good reason to try my Samurai on a longer distance than 7-11 drive. It made it there and back with no overheating, I was surprised and happy.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:32 am 

Needless to say you love the new bending software huh? I have been thinking of getting it for awhile and now that this version is out I really want to get it for a future project....or just to dick with. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:48 am 

I'll take a evaluation copy also, Please.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:21 pm 

TAB wrote:
Needless to say you love the new bending software huh? I have been thinking of getting it for awhile and now that this version is out I really want to get it for a future project....or just to dick with. :lol:

Yeah, it is pretty awesome software. I jumped on as a beta tester and even in the first versions it was very "intuitive" I fucked around with it for about a half hour and was then designing. It sound like in the near future there will be a DFX exporter/importer and possibly even provision for bending ornamental iron stuff.

As for evaluation, you can get a free version over at bend-tech.com. Dont expect to find the retail version anywhere. It is nearly impossible to activate unless you want to reverse engineer the software... I had a hell of a time just trying to get my two computers up and running with it. Chris Merry, the owner of bendtech worked with me a lot and the software really is worth the money. I haven't pitched one piece of tube yet since I started bending with BT.

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:57 pm 

elfoozo wrote:
No biggie. I needed a good reason to try my Samurai on a longer distance than 7-11 drive. It made it there and back with no overheating, I was surprised and happy.

It is good to here is made it. I wouldn't drive my CJ across town, let alone over to saginaw... 'Course with the 460 that gets about 1 mpg, I would spend more time filling up my 13 gallon fuel cell than driving...

Let me know if you want to try to stop in again. I will be off all next weekend.

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:05 pm 

One quick question for all of you. right now, measured from the floor to the top of the "b" hoop is 60"s. Do you guys think that is to tall? My cage in my CJ is at about 57-58"s and I thought it was too low, I realized after I started bening this, that I could probably make the chassis "thinner" and deal with head room with my seat mounts as I will no longer have to run stock jeep seat hardware. If I am going to change it, now would be the time, as I can still cut the top bar back out, lower it, put slugs in the tube and re-weld it a bit lower. Tell me what you think. I have been following the thread over on pirate about how tall is your tube buggy, and it apears that I am already taller than anyone who has responded in that post...

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:40 pm 

No, I completely plan on buying it. All their stuff is VERY reasonably priced, and worth evry penny if you ask me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:52 pm 

I gotta decide what version I want to order, any sugestions?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:11 am 

I would go with Pro or SE. Both have the assembly feature which allows you to design things like the chassis in the pictures in this post. The biggest difference between SE and Pro will be the Sketch feature I believe, but you can do basically the same stuff in the assembly interface in pro. SE has something like a 99 bend limit per part, and pro is limited to I believe 10 bends in a part. I have a hard time seeing where you would need more than 10 bends in a part for our sport. All in all I think pro is the best bang for the buck. If you decide you want more later, Chris will let you upgrade for the difference in cost between products. I ran EZ-3D for a year and it performed flawlessly. I really like the assembly features in pro though, it is very simple to use. You plot points in 3 dimensions for the rough outline of what you are trying to build, then from there you can select "bent part" and tell the comp how many bends and then click from point to point until the end and the software extrudes the part. You just keep adding points where you want parts to pass through and then build the part and the software takes car of the rest. There is also a notching feature that allows you to select two tubes and will print a template on how to cope the tube to fit. In my opinion the cutting feature is not really useable as of yet because it can only do the math for notching to a straight tube, it can't figure notches to a bend. I can figure out straight nothces on my own... Anyhow, Chris says he is working on developing an engine to allow notching to a bend, but it will be a while. For now I still do it the odd notches old fashion way with a angle grinder and bench sander, it sure will be nice to have a templace for them eventually and be able to just trace it on and plasma cut them out. So anyways, to answer your question, I would just buy pro and see if it does all that you want, if not then you can upgrade later.

Later,
Jason

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:15 am 

As far as the height, it shoulds a little tall. It really just depends on what yiu want. Tha buggy I am building now is about 49-50 inches from floor to top of b pillar. I am going to have about a 3-4 inch lower sub frame. So skid plate to top is 52-54 inches. My original plan was to make it with no sub frame, like yours. Then decided that there is a few things that I don't want above the floor with me, like exhaust. Guess I should got some pics. Today was shot with christmas, but hope to work on mine tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:34 am 

Too bad there isn't available data like the insurance industry has where you could query "show me the total number of occupants that sustained _XX_ injuries in 19YY through 20YY on a frame ZZ inches."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:51 am 

I went with Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:25 am 
Aiden's Bitch

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424134

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7
[ 167 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic