<- Home Page *Search  

1, 2, 3, 4 Reply to topic Post new topic
Fat Pig

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:37 am 

Jess and I are putting together a POS to run C-class at TREC. Here's the 1980-something Grand Wagoneer we are starting with. The AMC 360, NP-22whatever and Dana 44s are heading back to the guy I picked the truck from.

I've got a D44/AMC20 combo and NP-208 from another Wag, plus the AMC 360 out of my 75 Wag. I rebuilt it back in 1999-2000 and it probably doesn't even have 5000 miles on it, but it does have TBI. We'll be running the 33" swampers off the 75 Wag too.

That's about where the plans end. Except I heard its gotta have a bitchin' paint job to be a racer. Right now we are stripping it down and cleaning out all of the crap. It sat for a few years with the windows open, so it stinks like hell and there a few mouse nests and tons of leaves and the best find so far... beaver lube!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by JohnnyJ on Tue May 25, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Looks in better shape than the one I bought for a DD. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:03 pm 

You are welcome to dig through my reasonably priced parts pile for upgrades. The tailgate is in pretty good shape compared to most I've seen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:11 pm 
strangler is hoser's shrink

Cool, but why start with something so heavy?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:21 pm 

Three reasons: 1) I already had the tires and engine that is otherwise rotting away in the barn but worthless to sell, 2) Parts are cheap, 3) Durability.

In this class, you can't swap drivetrain and axles for anything that didn't come from the factory in that model. Since Wags likes this came from the factory with 360 V8, TF-727, NP-208, Dana 44 and AMC 20 it should take a beating. Plus full frame that won't pretzel up in a few races like the unibody jeeps.

From what I can find, a Wag weighs 4480lbs and a 5.9 ZJ 4200. So not a huge weight penalty. Hopefully we can shed more weight as we strip it down than then they do and tighten it up even more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:41 pm 

Cool :thumb:

(how much for your neighbors house and how nice is his barn?)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:34 pm 

I cleaned out most of the interior. Floors are worse than I hoped, but not really a surprise since it sat with the windows open for a few years. No worse than my 75 Wag's floors when I redid them.

Lucas - you should really make sure your floors are in decent shape if your using it for a daily driver. The seat belt posts literally pulled out with the carpet. This is typical of many scrap yard Wags I've picked parts from over the years, too.

Next up is pulling the driver's door panels and getting them to open. Then out comes the dash.

Strangler - Last we looked I think it was $270K and its sitting on 2.5 acres. He put the barn up a few years ago just after they moved in. I haven't been in there for a while, but last I was in there he was finishing it off and said he was gonna hang drywall in there. He's a pretty quiet guy, so I only talk with him maybe once a year.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:57 am 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

JohnnyJ wrote:

Lucas - you should really make sure your floors are in decent shape if your using it for a daily driver. The seat belt posts literally pulled out with the carpet. This is typical of many scrap yard Wags I've picked parts from over the years, too.

I don't have it anymore, it was a pile, I did have to jam a pipe under the driverside floor so I could see out the windshield...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:12 am 

Hahaha looks like the one PavementPunder left in my yard for 2+ years :flipoff: His came with a scarecrow occupying the back seat.

Beaver lube :lol: :lol: thats better than the stuff I use on my EDM's, its called Beaver Kleen :lol: . The company's name IIRC is "Beaver research". It must be entertaining to work in their marketing dept.

Cool project looking forward to seeing this come together.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:25 am 

How is the aroma once the seat and the rest of the carpet was removed? Did any of your neighborly hillbillies pick up the seats yet, or are you going to store them for a while to build up your mouse collection?

Looks like he drivers floor will be one big patch, with probably some underbody support of some sort and we'll be good to go. No more surprises under the carpet. Kind of surprised we didn't find any carcases.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:49 pm 

Still stinks some, but much better. I think removing the final door panels and dash should make it better.

I shop vac'd it out this afternoon then washed the top layer of filth off this thing. I hit it with the power washer for a good hour. The roof still isn't 100%, but its much better than when we dragged it in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:48 pm 

Woot! All doors open. I think all of the rust on the driver's side has it sagging a bit.

Next up is removing the dash. Oh and finding the T30 torx that's MIA and will be used on everything in the dash area. :rocket:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:21 am 

We got a ton of shit done tonight. Dash it out, 99% of wiring is removed, front clip is gone. Engine/trans/t-case are ready to be pulled and floors need patching.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:33 pm 
I SMELL Sh!t

cool

May 13 2010: "I should be able to put the body back on in a couple of weeks."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:05 pm 

hell yeah trec will be awesome

HOGGIN AND BOGGIN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:27 pm 

Here's some info from when I was trying to figure out if stock gears would work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:54 am 

Floorboard updates. Next up is to drop the fuel tank and start rehanging metal on the driver's side.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:06 pm 

I removed the gas tank and exhaust today. I was nervous how the frame would be behind the gas tank, but it was nice and solid.

I also pulled the original polyglass spare from up underneath. Another awesome tire for the small tire challenge!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:46 pm 

Was removing the tank as much of a PITA as it seemed to be? Knowing that this is done, I'm available for Jeep night this week. Not going to Cali til next week...Lucky me. :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:03 am 

It wasn't too bad. It took a couple of hours at a leisurely pace with breaks to play with the kids.

Here's the start of the driver's side. I trimmed out bit more, used a heat gun to remove a few pounds of factory body filler, and then finally got to hanging tin.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:33 pm 

I took a few nights off, but was out there again tonight. I'm pretty happy with how the firewall is turning out. Now to reconnect the tunnel.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:00 am 

More floors. Next up is cage.

I forgot to grab a pic of the frame, but Jess boxed in the section from the spring hanger forward to the body mount thats under the driver's seat. We'll be tying the cage into that area, so hopefully it won't break in two there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:33 pm 

The driver's side floor is pretty much done until we get the cage in. The best part was being able to put the seat in and make some vroom vroom noises. (the real reason the floor is clean in the pic)

I've got a little bit to do on the pass side, but it's pretty close too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:58 pm 

I'm back from vacation and finally back at it. I patched a few holes in the firewall over the weekend. Tonight Jess and I continued on the cage. The A-pillar is pretty much set on the driver's side and needs final fitting on the pass. This should be the last bends besides maybe on the seat crossmember.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:48 pm 

Looks really good guys. When is the first race?

1, 2, 3, 4
[ 79 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic