<- Home Page *Search  

1, 2, 3, 4 Reply to topic Post new topic
Fat Pig

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:13 pm 

for us to show up to? hopefully the May race but that's coming quick too. Hopefully it looks better than my TJ currently does.

April 10, 2010
May 15, 2010
June 5, 2010
Sept 11, 2010
Oct 3, 2010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:07 pm 

I agree, your TJ is a fucking mess. You should quit fucking around and finish one of them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:49 am 

A fucking mess it is, but it was there.

We kicked some ass on the cage tonight. Everything hanging on the cage is fully welded and the 4 points are welded to the frame. I'm going to open up the floor above the rear axle and tie the rear points to the frame there and box in that frame section. Also need to weld in the driver's side floor and cut the final piece for the pass side and weld that in.

Jess and I are trying to figure out how to mount the seats as low as possible to give max headroom around the cage. We think we will do the drivetrain first, and then see if we can fit a tube through the trans tunnel.

Plans have changed, and we'll be running my AMC 360/ TH400/ Quadatrac and my D44s that are already geared to 4.10s with a Detroit in the rear.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:02 pm 

Where do you get those 3" wide sander belts???

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:46 pm 

JeepM715 wrote:
Where do you get those 3" wide sander belts???

I have the local retard make them.

Damn, I'm sick of welding in floorboards.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 pm 

Jess and I worked on the engine swapping on Tuesday. We got the old powertrain out of the racer and the AMC 360/TH400/Quadratrac from my 75 Wag. Also pulled the axles from the 75 and already have the front installed in the racer. The rear needs to be swapped in still.

Today I degreased and power washed the powertrain and the Wag frame.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:45 pm 
strangler is hoser's shrink

It looks too nice to have puked its guts for a weekend racer?

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:41 pm 

Maybe the next project is to stick a 5.3 in the brown wag... I brought this up the other night, I'm sure the wheels have been turning

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:48 pm 

strangler wrote:
It looks too nice to have puked its guts for a weekend racer?

Too nice to trash, not nice enough to make it worth anything, too many memories to sell for cheap. This is the best I've come up with.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:45 pm 

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing how it does down there.

I can has sharpen your drills, 4 cheap.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 12:34 am 

Over the weekend I painted the front frame section, interior, and the underside of the front section where I patched up the floors. Then I started rebuilding the driveshafts since they were looser than a $2 whore.

Today Jess and I did another marathon session. Jess torched out the rear stock springs while I finished up the driveshafts. Then we swapped in some 4" lift springs that YellowYJ donated to the cause and then we threw in the rear axle and got it on the 33s all around before taking a break for dinner.

We went through the front axle to check the front pinion bearings after finding some water in the diff last week and leaky front pinion seal. Everything looked good, so we just replaced the front pinion seal.

Then we threw the engine, trans and t-case in and that was the easiest thing of the day. The newer frame still had the right holes for the cross member, and we probably had the engine in within 30 minutes. So we installed the driveshafts and then put on the front clip so I didn't have to walk around the damn thing anymore.

We still have a ton of shit to do, so we will likely just go wheel at the badlands on the 15th and watch the race.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:24 am 

Still plugging away. Here's the list we came up with coming home from the Badlands. Jess worked on the brakes while I worked on fuel cell straps and started wiring.

Finish trimming fenders
Finish brakes
Finish seats & harnesses
Finish cage (gussets, cross bar)
Mount fuel cell & Plumb fuel lines +filters
Exhaust
Wire
Install trans cooler
Run power steering through radiator trans cooler
Weld rear doors shut
Swap pitman arm & Tighten steering
Check rear diff
Front and rear tow point
Trans shifter
Vacuum lines and switches for Q-trac
Low range shifter
Front bump stops
Pass grab handle [b]
Electric fan & shroud [b]
Flex for shocks [b]
Roof panels [b]
Replace floor pieces at c-pillar [c]
Front windshield & wipers [c]
Paint [d]

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:07 am 
Aiden's Bitch

john i have a place we are going to go run the jeep to give her a once over before we head back down to indy, old gravel pit if you would like to take yours out for a test and tune

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 8:45 am 
I SMELL Sh!t

Hosejockey4506 wrote:
john i have a place we are going to go run the jeep to give her a once over before we head back down to indy, old gravel pit if you would like to take yours out for a test and tune

can I run the beetle there?

May 13 2010: "I should be able to put the body back on in a couple of weeks."

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:37 am 
Aiden's Bitch

Mr.Rong wrote:
Hosejockey4506 wrote:

can I run the beetle there?

Not until you get rid of that avitar

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:27 pm 

Wiring is getting close. The EFI is wired in except for the fuel pump and I'll do that when I run the fuel lines. Headlights, front running lights, and the brake switch are wired in and tested,. I just have to finish wiring in the rear lights, horn, off-road lights, and gauges for the small wiring. For big stuff I have to wire the battery and cutoff switch.

Fenders are mostly trimmed, just need to finish the dogleg on the rear driver's side and do some welding to tie the inner fenders to the body.

Jess is about 1/2 done with the brakes. Probably the biggest task is bench bleeding the master and fine tuning the new push rod. We put a corvette master (4-wheel disc) on there in place of the gunked up disc/drum master.

Hosejockey4506 wrote:

Hopefully we can get it done for that, but something tells me test and tune will be a prerun on the saturday of the race.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:53 am 

Jesse and I spent all day today working on it, and ended the day with firing up the engine for a few seconds. We are on track for next Saturday.

Here's the shit we checked off the list:
Finish cage (seat mounts & cross bar) - done
Mount fuel cell & Plumb fuel lines +filters - done
Trans shifter
Low range shifter
Install trans cooler (done with some help from YellowYJ)

Here's what's left that needs to be done before next weekend.
Finish trimming fenders - trimmed, just need some welding
Finish brakes - rears done, need to do fronts
Finish seats & harnesses - just need harnesses
Wire - finish rear lights, gauges, driving lights
Vacuum lines and switches for Q-trac - just need to plumb vacuum lines
Exhaust
Weld rear doors shut
Swap pitman arm & Tighten steering
Check rear diff
Front bump stops
Front and rear tow point

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:20 am 

I finished up the rear lights last night and swapped battery cables and now the engine starts up and stays running. I tapped the breather for the front axle and filled it and tightened steering while I was down there and removed the original trans cooler lines. I also painted the cage before heading in.

Anybody have a large pitman arm puller that I could borrow? I've got the largest one that vatozone carries, but it's still not big enough for the drop pitman arm.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:19 pm 

I have a good one you can borrow. Anytime after 6.

Bring that thing by when its done and we'll throw it on the scales.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:59 pm 

strangler wrote:
I have a good one you can borrow. Anytime after 6.

Bring that thing by when its done and we'll throw it on the scales.

Sweet, I'll swing by tomorrow night to get the puller, or I can bring the box it's on and knock it out there.

That'd be awesome to put it on scales. I'd like to see where it's at.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:43 pm 

I'd suggest just borrowing the puller, and mounting the box to the frame, it takes some beef to tighten up enough to work. See you tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:49 am 

Strangler stopped by with the puller tonight and we actually got some work out of him.

Jess finished up seats and harnesses, finished the brakes, welded one door and half a fender, and then did front bumpstops with help from strangler.

I finished up mounting gauges, then mounted the radiator. After everybody left I put the doors on and made vroom vroom noises since the exhaust won't get installed until Thursday.

the list:
install hood and front bumper
Finish welding rear fenders and driver's rear door
install driving lights
final line on vacuum switch for Q-trac
Swap pitman arm
Check rear diff
Exhaust
Front and rear tow point

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:03 am 

The Fat Pig pulled out and back into the garage tonight on its own power so it must be ready for a 2+ hour race. I put the hood on and I think I'm going to the ricer aisle to pick up some hood pins because the factory hood latch sucks. Qtrac vacuum lines are done, redid the alternator idiot light, and cleaned the pig out before I drag it over to Fowlerville for exhaust.

I was hoping to get some welding in or change the pitman arm, but swapping crap on and off trailers took too much time.

the list:
install front bumper
Finish welding rear fenders and driver's rear door
install driving lights
Swap pitman arm
Check rear diff
Exhaust
Front and rear tow point

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:16 pm 

The mufflers are installed and sounded good. I took it out for a spin with Scott (exhaust guy) and it wasn't running 100%. I turned it off to load onto the trailer, and it wouldn't restart.

Damned thing. I hope I can sort it out tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:22 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

What's the plan for you on leaving

Quote:

1, 2, 3, 4
[ 79 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic