<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
one wheel peel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:43 pm 
strangler is hoser's shrink

I'm a victim of my own sucess. Well, my own and those who have recently helped shorten my truck.
The sucess is this- it drives way better than I thought it would, and therefore I can see keeping it as a drivable weekend toy or at least something that I can drive to work now and then to scare my co-workers.

The second sucess is that the welded rear worked great last weekend and I have no problem considering the 14 bulletproof now.

Da problem- tire scrub sucks, and if I drive this thing around much these tires will be smoked soon.

My question- anyone taken a FF shaft and cut the shaft away from the flange, therefore having a one-wheel-peel vehicle for around town that can be converted back with 8 bolts? Does anyone see any weird forces tearing apart my carrier if I only run one shaft? Seems like the biggest inconvenence will be carrying around an axle shaft and a tube of rtv, but could potentially add years to my tires life. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:04 pm 
Super Picky, Never Sticky

buy a locker.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:10 pm 

I would try to figure something else out... I drove my truck with a broken axle shaft and every time I hit the gas it pushed really hard to one side and then when I let off it pulled back the other way pretty bad too...

it would be much more dangerous than a welded rear on ice...

time for an arb :eek:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:10 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Yup, I think you will experience a ton of torque steer. Just air the tires up really high so you are just riding on the centers (kind of an exagertion) & they'll last quite a while.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:26 pm 

if you want to try it i have a spare 14bolt shaft

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:57 pm 

95geo wrote:
every time I hit the gas it pushed really hard to one side and then when I let off it pulled back the other way pretty bad too...

Makes sense. I was going to stuff a spare short shaft in place of the long shaft and go for a ride, but I think your right....... Its time to link it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:06 pm 
It Looks Russian

what does linking it have anything to do with tire scrub?

I run 25 lbs in radial MTs with a welded rear, drive 60 miles a day and cant visually see the effects on my tires. I think your high...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:49 pm 

XJeeper wrote:
what does linking it have anything to do with tire scrub?...

Linking it would eliminate torque steer, wouldn't it?
XJeeper wrote:
I run 25 lbs in radial MTs with a welded rear, drive 60 miles a day and cant visually see the effects on my tires. I think your high...

The track width on your cute little Dana 35 is like 26 inches.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:05 pm 
It Looks Russian

no and whats your point?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:58 pm 

XJeeper wrote:
no and whats your point?

the "scrub" you are feeling is your inside tire trying to travel the same speed as your outside tire, both tires are traveling through seperate arcs as you turn and have to spin at different speeds to make the turn or else they will "scrub"

as far as pushing goes spools suck on the ice i had one in my blazer when it was on 35's SCARRY AS A MOFO, when ever i would give it gas the ass end would push one way or another.

these symptoms have nothing to do with your leaf spring suspension, as far as a fix goes maybe try a detroit locker (fairly cheap for the 14b) i personally had a detroit in a 14bolt but the blazer was on 38's by then but on the dry pavement i never noticed any scrubbing.

and ill save the selectable locker suggestion you cheap bastid :popcorn:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:00 pm 

put a 33" dunlop rover on the drivers side rear for street driving. then just make sure your ride to work only has left hand turns.

your welcome :thumb:

HOGGIN AND BOGGIN

[ 11 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic