<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
Electric trailer brakes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:42 am 
strangler is hoser's shrink

So, my trailer has electric brakes on one axle, which I have never used. When I pluged the harness into my black truck a couple years ago I could hear a circuit breaker clicking inside my dash and my volt meter was acting irratic, so I clipped the brake wire on the trailers harness and have been fine with it ever since. Well now I have the black truck on the trailer, and am attempting to pull it with this 03 1500. Things are scary. I do not have a brake controler in the 1500, so should I reattach the wire and see if the brakes just work now, therefore assuming my black truck had the problem and not the trailer? Do I need a controller? I have one in my black truck that I can remove I guess. Any thoughts

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:29 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

I would assume it's the controller. The one in my truck clicks occasionally but hasn't caused any problems with the trailer. The controller in my motorhome never gives me a problem. So, with that in mind, consider it a controller problem. I would give it a try.

On the other hand, you may have a brake puck shorting out or something else causing the problem. You can reattach it and hook it to someone elses tow rig & see what happens. Either way, with that big of a load, you certainly need trailer brakes. Technically, in Michigan, you now need all axles braking.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:01 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

white truck its very simple to hook up all you need to do is goto the dealer and buy a pig tale usually its in the glove box of all new chevys. and then install one fuse under the hood.

im sure the harness is cheap well worth it. just plugs in by your brake pedal. truck is already wired minus that plug

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:06 pm 
Dirty DaVe

i have one here at the apartment...its all yours , i just have to go dig and find it

dave has the right idea.
roger that.

[ 4 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic