<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
Need ideas.. f'n michigan rust

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:01 pm 

While the engine is out and I was cleaning up in the garage tonight, I decided to clean up my coilovers so I could drop the spring rate and lower it down. With the engine out the jeep raised about 5" and now I can't close the hood without moving it forward from under the garage door opener. :slap:

Anyway, of course one side (the side on the ps pump which had a leak and shot fluid everywhere) was super easy to clean up and then turn the top spring seat down so that I could run just a lower spring to hold the jeep up.

The other side.. well, of course it's seized. So I tossed it back on the jeep and put some ass behind trying to budge it. I thought I had broken it free, but in reality I broke free the top cap. Of course I realized this when I got far enough along to let my n2 pressure out with a nice pssst.

oh yeah, I did check and the set screw, and it's backed off. So none of that BS. It's just good old michigan rust and corrosion.

So, WTF to do now. I soaked it in some more penetrating lube before coming in. My issue is that now I've got no good way of hold the shock tight enough to break the spring seat free. I'm not excited about applying heat to try and help, since I'm don't want to f up the shock body.

I've got some soft inserts for the vice so it doesn't mar up the finsh, but the coilover just spins.

Anybody got a quick and easy idea?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:24 am 

Maybe two strap wrenches in opposite directions? Then later some antisieze on the collar?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:55 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

TAB wrote:
Maybe two strap wrenches in opposite directions? Then later some antisieze on the collar?

:thumb:

I got nuthin better.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:01 am 

thin rubber around it in the vice in an area that wont crush on the body.

dont apply heat.... keep soaking it and if that doesnt get it then the worst case would be having to buy a new spring seat from poly or someone who will sell individual parts rather than a whole dual rate kit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:43 pm 

got it tonight after some soaking. stupid michigan rust.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:51 am 
strangler is hoser's shrink

I'm in the same situation. What did you use.... PB Blaster?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:23 pm 

I believe I soaked it in ATF for a couple of nights and then used a wire wheel on my air die grinder to knock off scale around spring seat.

I used a piece of rubber to not mark up the shock body, and turned it with my pipe wrench. I think I have a few small nicks from it, but nothing worse than normal wear and tear.

[ 7 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic