<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
how much axle seperation is too much?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:01 am 

a track bar allows you to make the roll center really high while keeping the links in good locations under the vehicle, in a rear setup sometimes a track bar wont fit well.

so in a double triangulated rear 4 link how much vertical seperation on the axle is too much? 8-9" is pretty ideal but what if you could get 12" with the upper links pointing up at the rear at ride height? this would get the point of convergence up higher than the links themselves and making your roll axis in excess of 36" high and as long as lowers are setup accordingly the roll axis would be flat with everything else being in check....

anyone care to throw a wrench into my thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:50 am 

leaf springs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:05 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

UP_ROKTOY wrote:
leaf springs.

I think he was looking for input that had relevance. :slap:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:07 am 

WhiteRhino wrote:
UP_ROKTOY wrote:
leaf springs.

I think he was looking for input that had relevance. :slap:
I don't have any of that. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:17 am 

sounds to me like things would just get in the way with that much seperation. your uppers would hit frame,body etc. and the lowers would hang below the axle. i dont have much experience with the whole 4 link calculator so i have no input besides clearances. and trying to match that on the frame would be a bitch.

HOGGIN AND BOGGIN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:27 am 

chevotaSS wrote:
sounds to me like things would just get in the way with that much seperation. your uppers would hit frame,body etc. and the lowers would hang below the axle. i dont have much experience with the whole 4 link calculator so i have no input besides clearances. and trying to match that on the frame would be a bitch.

my thoughts were about 8" on the frame end and the lowers on the centerline of the tube.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:42 am 

Kevin's rig is setup with 11" of separation on the axle side. I can't remember what it is on the frame. I wanna say it's about 9". We wanted to go with more separation because we knew he was gonna be running 44" SWampers, and he planned to run high HP. I can't remember if he was still running his big block when we first redid the rear.

Either way, he wanted to be able to beat on it with no problems, and it's held together for about 5 years with nothing more than one slightly bent LCA. I think he put it in the shop press to straighten it out, and it's been fine since. He's running Johnny joints, I think the original style Currie ones that you have to press together.

He's running triangulation on UCA and LCA, but not the same degree. The degree on the lowers is a bit less than the top, but they are kicked in quite a bit. Just not the same as most folks who run the BTF double XX tab setup.

It has a nice flat roll axis, seems to do well with body lean due to the higher roll center, and doesn't hop is controlled.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:45 pm 

anyone else?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:52 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

You speaketh way over my head.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:20 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

if i remeber correctly corr trucks run around 12 at the axle end

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

[ 10 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic