<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
D44 Pinion preload/backlash issues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:35 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Well, buried the thing at the mounds, outer pinion bearing grenaded itself (only a few roller bearings left), and the pinion (i think) got pushed forward into the ring gear, not allowing it to turn. When the diff cover came off, it wasnt really fluid anymore, but a slurry of metal/80w90/shitty mud. I have it all apart, with all new bearings/seals/etc, and am havin some issues getting the pinion preload set. I'm using the thickness of shims that were previously installed in it, and when I have it all put together correctly, when the pinion nut is completely tight, I have about 1/4" slop (pushing in and out). Tired shimming it even more to space the inner/outer bearings closer together, but that destroyed the contact pattern. I'm positive i'm using the correct bearings on the pinion, i matched them up to the old one (what was left). The axle tail housing looks pretty galled up, but the bearing races sit in nice and snug. Any insights would be appreciated, I haven't rebuilt one of these in about 4 years. Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:44 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

sounds like the outer pinion bearing is not going onto the pinion far enough or the race is to far into the housing. shimming will not make up 1/4 inch

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:59 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

Yeh, haven't checked that yet, its way too cold outside...hope I didnt tear up the housing, I don't know what it's 'supposed' to look like because I've never had one apart before that wasnt all mauled up.....we'll see

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:09 pm 

dont forget you should have a crush sleeve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:11 pm 

prostock3 wrote:
dont forget you should have a NEW crush sleeve

fixed

that would be my vote.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:21 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

a used crush sleeve would cause the opposite problem. a new one that is too long could but i dont think to the tune of 1/4 inch

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:10 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

I don't recall a crush sleeve on my D44.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:48 pm 

all my dana 44's had shims to set the bearing tension.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:50 pm 

check for shims under your races in the housing!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:34 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

yeah but hes talking a 1/4 inch slop and if its slop means there arent enough shims.

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:28 pm 

HoSeJoCkEy4506 wrote:
yeah but hes talking a 1/4 inch slop and if its slop means there arent enough shims.

He would have had to not put any shims in. There isn't a crush sleeve for the D44's. Do you have the correct pinion bearing on the pinion itself?

95YJ, 468BBC, 700r4, ford NP205, 404 unimog axles, 42" swampers on H1 rims, 4 link F&R

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:13 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

wow old post, shims from mcmaster-carr behind the outer pinion bearing race fixed the issue....an yea no crush sleeve on d44's, preload shims are used

[ 12 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic