<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
Double Shear Steering

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:43 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

OK, I've seen the use of a high steer arm and the stock tie rod mount as a double shear setup for steering, I'm guessing mainly for use as a very strong mounting point for full hydro steering.

Question is, is there a special arm required for this, or do you simply use any old arm with a 10* flat top and bottom?

I'm looking at mounting both my draglink and tie rod on the pass side with this setup, any negatives? Then take my tie rod over to the drivers side with a single shear setup, ream it out for a press fit "shoulder bolt" if you will.

Only real reason for this is to get my draglink down under the steering arm to gain clearance away from the frame.

Lucas

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:45 pm 

you cant really do this with "off the shelf" dana 44 parts, the arms are angled in to clear the rims and this screws up the ackerman angle from a stock setup. it is common for this to work on a dana 60 though because most high steer arms are concentric with the existing hole in the knuckles, make sense?

you could double shear them with a little bracket that goes from the low end of the arm/ to the existing hole for the tre in the knuckle, i did that with my ram assist.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:12 pm 

I've done what you're talking about on a few axles. I did it on my old Dana 44 and I just made the arms so the steering arm hole lined up with the original tie rod hole. Same thing I did on my 60. The reason I did it was to keep the steering arm bolts from breaking/coming loose.

I remember when I posted pictures of it on Michigan Jeepers I had 3 9/16" bolts hold the steering arm on instead of studs and 4Bangler told me it would fail and they would loosen up all the time. When they never did. :flipoff:

We-Rock/XRRA #199

Badlands Offroad, Maxxis, Superior Axle, Solid Axle Ind, Spidertrax, PSC, Branik Machine, QA1, High Angle Driveline, Warn, Sway-a-way, Cottman Transmission, PRP Seats, Summit Racing, CTM Racing, Allied Wheel, and McKinney corp.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:03 pm 
WANNA BE WEB WHEELER

95geo wrote:
you cant really do this with "off the shelf" dana 44 parts, the arms are angled in to clear the rims and this screws up the ackerman angle from a stock setup. it is common for this to work on a dana 60 though because most high steer arms are concentric with the existing hole in the knuckles, make sense?

you could double shear them with a little bracket that goes from the low end of the arm/ to the existing hole for the tre in the knuckle, i did that with my ram assist.

Do you have a picture of the bracket you made?

I was thinking of possibly cutting some thickwall tubing on a slight angle to fit between the two perfectly, then hacking the center out the exact amount to fit the tierod draglink...

My only concern is the pitman arm CL's and the highsteer arm CL's of the holes so I can use up all available "steerage" of the axle.

Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:25 pm 

they are in my winter mods thread.

i dont have pictures of the old one though

[ 5 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic