<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
14bFF gear set-up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:49 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

As a damage-control effort, I believe I'm going to perform the gear swap myself.

For those who weren't tracking, I suffered a spindle nut retainer failure after installing all new brakes, hub bearings, races, and seals. Got the wrong part, had no choice but to use the old, shitty one, etc. That has cost me about a grand so far.

Everything else on the axle is fine and in nice or new condition, so I'm going to swap everything over to another SRW 14bFF. Looks like I'm going to be getting a housing & hubs from Scramblerman in the next week or so. If they don't sell by the time I get a housing, I guess I'm going blast/paint/do the whole thing nicely so i can have my 4.56's back again. The tired motor doesn't like the 4.10's much with the tires that are on it.

I hear 14bFF gear set-up is less complicated (or perhaps harder to fuck up) than say, a Dana something? I've browsed the cached version of the Bible (since a lot of shit is blocked here at work), but can someone point me to a gear install write-up for it?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:12 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

its simple as hell could be done in less than a hour. Are both axles going to be out of the vehicle??

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:13 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

the only reason it cost you a grand is because where you took it haha

Quote:
Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:15 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Hosejockey4506 wrote:

From the guy who has had most of the axles he geared fail.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:25 pm 
Dirty DaVe

PavementPounder wrote:
Hosejockey4506 wrote:

From the guy who has had most of the axles he geared fail.

I dont think the axle tubes cracking and breaking off had anything to do with gear set up :popcorn: :beer:

dave has the right idea.
roger that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:07 pm 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

divino92 wrote:
I dont think the axle tubes cracking and breaking off had anything to do with gear set up :popcorn: :beer:

Probably not, so I have to assume those weren't the axles that came up in the previous conversation I had with him a while ago.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:32 pm 
Dirty DaVe

PavementPounder wrote:
divino92 wrote:

Probably not, so I have to assume those weren't the axles that came up in the previous conversation I had with him a while ago.

Haha I would say nope. I couldnt remember a time that he had a gear set fail. But then again all i do is web wheel anymore, i dont even own anything

dave has the right idea.
roger that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:05 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

the gear set failures i had were low pinion 60 fronts. i changed to a hp and all is well.

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:06 pm 
Aiden's Bitch

the 14 bolt gears that i sold my buggy with were the same ones i put in 2 different housings and were over 5 years old and it was the first set of gears i ever installed.

Quote:

[ 9 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic