<- Home Page *Search  

Reply to topic Post new topic
Harlan, KY trip pics

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:05 pm 

Good time had by all.......well........most anyway. A few guys had problems. Busted D60 knuckle, busted 231 case, busted 231 case again, busted driveshafts, twisted PS pump shaft, overheating, ripped Irok sidewalls, etc. etc. Nothing out of the ordinary.

We spend 5 days on the trail down there. Great place to wheel and not really all that far away. Definitely worth the drive.

Album:

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p200 ... ?start=all

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=cknaffle

My junk:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:14 pm 

nice pics, look like you had good times.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:22 pm 
strangler is hoser's shrink

Hi. care to sell me my TSL's back? You should really do something different.

Oh, and "twisted power steering shaft"--- WTF?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:14 am 

I'll probably be going to 42s soon, so they will eventually be up for sale. :D I was extremely impressed how well they worked. I crawled right over places a lot of guys on 42" Iroks struggled.

That was the high-dollar PSC pump. It twisted the shaft off inside the pump. It was on the dual steer truck. He held the rear steer a little too long and instead of the engine bogging out, the shaft twisted. Luckily, I had a spare for him and he ran that for 2 more days.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:06 am 

knaffie wrote:
I'll probably be going to 42s soon, so they will eventually be up for sale. :D I was extremely impressed how well they worked. I crawled right over places a lot of guys on 42" Iroks struggled.

Why would you go 42" then?

Did anyone make it up Creme Puff?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:23 pm 

I have a line on a good deal for some 42" tires and I've got room, so what the hell. From what I saw down there, it was more of an issue of tire brand, not size, that made rigs more or less capable. Iroks - not impressive!

Yes, 3 guys made it up Creme Puff. Seems the secret to that run is a little bit of speed, like 5-10 MPH and not just slow crawling really slow. I wanted to try it, but with nothing but sheetmetal over my head, it wasn't worth the risk.

Steve made it first day

Bill and Paul made it the next day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:20 pm 

knaffie wrote:
From what I saw down there, it was more of an issue of tire brand, not size, that made rigs more or less capable. Iroks - not impressive!

If Iroks weren't impressive, then what were? Sticky tires? straight up TSLs like what you run?

Just interested to see.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:17 pm 

JMO, of course, but I thought the two rigs (mine and Paul's) with TSLs (mine 39.5, Paul's 38.5) did exceptionally well following the 5 rigs with 42" Iroks and linked suspensions front / rear. In many cases, we got through in significantly less time than they did. Many times, they were pulling cable and we followed them right though. In fact, I never touched my winch once in 5 days down there. Overall, our two rigs pretty much defied the rules and did exceptionally well compared to the others. Maybe a matter of luck or many other factors, but they just worked, and that couldn't be argued.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:58 pm 

i never had an issues with my iroks there nor had to pull cable

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:29 pm 

I should have just not said anything. I figured this would soon turn into a "my tire is better than yours" thread.

Glad you're happy with your Iroks! :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:50 pm 

i dont have iroks anymore haha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:51 am 
I GOT NO REAL LIFE

Some times driver skill does more than a specific tire brand. There's times I've seen Iroks do better, there's times I've seen them do worse.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:11 am 

like you would know.... you dont have any time behind the wheel. :flipoff:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:43 am 

knaffie wrote:

this blazer here is a fella off a forum i hung out on when i lived in Kansas. i was lookin at his pics and found this one of you too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:17 pm 

Are you rethinking the sheetmetal after a trip down there??

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:52 am 

Nope. I'd rather just watch the guys who don't care about their trucks appearance run the harder trails and rub all the rocks and trees. My truck will continue to look like a truck. I did most of the trails there anyway. The only one I didn't do is Lion's Den for obvious reasons and Creme Puff because I don't have a roll cage yet.

[ 16 posts ]
Reply to topic Post new topic